Author Topic: 788ci gps antenna  (Read 9537 times)

Offline jbailey

• Unit(s): 788ci
  • Software: 6.3
  • Accessories: quad beam,speed tempsens,
788ci gps antenna
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
Hi folks this is a great site you have got going on here. I have a 788ci combo with q beam transducer and a seperate speed sensor. I am planning on adding an external gps antenna that has a heading sensor. Do i have to buy a y cable to be able to do this or is there enough ports on the back of the unit to plug in the antenna and the speed sensor? Also  i would like to add a 2 beam transducer to run along with my quad. what is the correct y cable to use for this? Thanks to anyone who can help

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 788ci gps antenna
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
The GPS-HS GPS Receiver has its own connector that it will plug into.  You will have to have the correct software update for this unit though but it has not been released yet.

The speed sensor you are talking about; is this the SW (Speed Sensor) or the TS-W (Temperature/Speed Sensor)?  These will plug straight into the 788ci unit (the 788ci HD model requires the use of additional adapter cables for this).

How are you wanting to use the 2 beam (DualBeam) transducer with your QuadraBeam transducer?
If you want to be able to use one or the other transducer; you need the TS3 Transducer Switch. 
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline jbailey

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
Hi Greg thanks for the reply. I already ordered the gps antenna because the research i did on it said it was compatible with my unit. When do you think a software update will be available? And just to be clear the combo unit has its own plug in the back of the unit for an external antenna?....
   I am losing my depth reading at higher speed with my quad beam and i read that people with side imaging units add a second lower frequency transducer to  remedy that problem. I am going to try to adjust the quad unit position on the transom first so maybe i dont have to do this. Thanks for any input you have

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »
I do not know when the software will be available for this model unit.

Yes, the 788ci has a connector on it for the external GPS Receiver.

I don’t think that they are using a lower frequency transducer when they have depth reading problems.  They are probably installing an inside-the-hull DualBeam (200/83kHz) transducer, as an inside-the-hull transducer is often the best location for high-speed depth readings on a fiberglass boat.

Offline jbailey

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:49:51 PM »
I contacted HB and they said that no software update was needed to use the hs antenna. I found a store in florida that sells them for considerably less than the advertized price. Cant wait to get it i hope it works.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »
I contacted HB and they said that no software update was needed to use the hs antenna. I found a store in florida that sells them for considerably less than the advertized price. Cant wait to get it i hope it works.

That is not correct with what I have been told and heard yet again at a meeting just two hours ago.  The unit does need the upcoming software to work or it will give you an error message when you start it up (or it has done so on other units).  Still no word when the software will be released for this.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »
Maybe the hardware should not be released until the software supports it. 
This is starting to sound like several other companies I have dealt with in that the hardware and software are vended out and cant speak to each other..

Chuck

Offline jbailey

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
Huh, well i believe you Greg. After you replied to my first post i sent a email to HB and they promptly responded otherwise. the dirty rats! If i could figure out how to attach their email to this post i would show you that im not pulling your leg. Oh well i guess i will see what happens when it gets here and wait for the update.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
Maybe the hardware should not be released until the software supports it. 
This is starting to sound like several other companies I have dealt with in that the hardware and software are vended out and cant speak to each other..

Chuck

The software was released for those units that were scheduled to receive a software update Chuck.  I’m guessing but since the 788ci does not have an Ethernet connection (and therefore will not work with the 360 Imaging or i-Pilot Link) that it will receive this software update at a later date, though I have not heard when that will be.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16:26 AM »
Huh, well i believe you Greg. After you replied to my first post i sent a email to HB and they promptly responded otherwise. the dirty rats! If i could figure out how to attach their email to this post i would show you that im not pulling your leg. Oh well i guess i will see what happens when it gets here and wait for the update.

Jbailey,
I would appreciate it if you could forward me the e-mail where it was stated that you did not need the software update.  I will forward it to the CRC Trainer to make sure that this CRC Rep knows better.  gwalters at johnsonoutdoors dot com

Offline jbailey

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 04:55:14 PM »
Finally got my antenna and nope it doesn't work. Unit fires up and after about 30 seconds the screen goes blank and reads pc connect. Bummer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo