Author Topic: 597ci hd di marking depth in navigation view?  (Read 9072 times)

Offline gooral

597ci hd di marking depth in navigation view?
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
Hi.

I'm slowly learning some features of it and just spoken with friend (he has some SI model).
He can mark with different colors different depths on the GPS map. (I think he has to "discover" depth first by going over it with sonar on). So on his unit i can see like bathymetric map of the lake. I found something called "depth colors" but it doesn't quite work same way.
Is this feature reserved for higher models or am I doing something wrong? (or it only shows depth on maps which features it within them?) Perfect would be view as on page 129 of user manual.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 597ci hd di marking depth in navigation view?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
gooral, Look at the top of page 129 and you will see that is says: “(optional-purchase LakeMaster® charts only)”.  You have to have a LakeMaster mapping card for the lake you are on to get a view like this.  Otherwise your only option is the Color By Depth feature that you found already.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline gooral

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
I found it as a menu item but not as a functional feature. All my maps are just plain blue water surface and yellow land.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
Are you using a LakeMaster map card in your unit gooral?

Offline gooral

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »
no I don't i'm using normal card. but so is other guy (he has higher model with SI) and he managed to make one for himself (AFAIR he used feature in navigation menu (appearance or something) and he ended up with map which shows different depths of the lake by different colors). Then i was just skipping through manual and found picture - hence my question is any kind of depth representation (either by simply switching feature on or by saving number of track and putting them together in pc or unit itself) possible on my unit.
(shaded depth feature mentioned on page 125 was my inspiration - but i did not see any changes on the map once i used it).
Then i saw picture on next page and thought about other guys unit and came up with my question.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
Not sure how the other guy is showing different depths of the lake by color other than with the Color by Depth setting for the Track appearance.

For the shaded depth feature to work there has to be some layered water depth data on the map you are on.  This is normally with a Navionics map card that has water depth contour lines on it. 

Offline gooral

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
Ok. Just spoken with other guy. He has no lake master/navionic maps as they are not available for Irish lakes.
He said that he can see depth of the particular track by different shades of green (once he is passing lake area track behind him is changing shade indicating different depths. In theory if he would cover 100% of the lake information would remain on the map as one of the past tracks there fore he would obtain bethymetric map. Better map i saw on his unit was generated by dr depth.
Is the option of showing (and saving) depth data (by any meaning be it color or shade or just a digit) along with gps track/route available on my unit without any special purchases?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
Yes it is.  Just set the Track > Appearance > Style menu to the “Color by Depth” setting for the colored tracklines.  Depth is normally saved with each trackponit as long as you remember to clear the Current Track before you start and to Save the Current Track when you finish for the day.  There is a limit of 20,000 trackpoints per track, so you may have to save your lake as multiple tracks but they can all be set to display at the same time or can all be downloaded to a computer.

Offline gooral

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
i will test it on Friday Thank you.

Offline gooral

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »
Hi. I finally got on water today. And Either i'm stupid or it doesnt work quite this way. On my GPS view i have new track (in my case blue line) and some old ones (dashed black line) Cant remember what is shaded depth set to but lakes bottom is full of sudden drops (some of them from around 60- 80ft to around 10 on i guess less than 100y - at speed of around 2-3mph it adjusts screen size almost consatntly every few sec abd over the course of trip i covered water from 80ft+ to around 1 ft. So i think whatever the setting i should see different shades of track? or is this because track are just "stored" in GPS memory but not "saved" by "save track" command? or something like this?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
The Shaded Depth menu has nothing to do with the trackplots.  It will only work if you have map data that it can work with (not all map data has this).

To keep the Chart from changing the zoom levels; set the Auto Zoom menu (under the Chart menu tab) to “Off”.

The Color by Depth function will work ‘live’ (while you are using it) as well as with past trackplots as long as they have the depth data saved with them (by clearing the Track prior to starting the trackplot and using the Save the Current Track after you have made the track – all before turning off the unit).  It sounds like you do not have it set in your unit.  Go the Nav menu tab and select the Current Track menu (for the track your unit is or will be making) and/or the Saved tracks Defaults menu(s).  [Select Appearance first in the case of the Current Track menu.]  Set the Style setting to Color by Depth.  You may have to also adjust the Track Color range menu (also under the Nav menu tab).

Offline gooral

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:27:15 AM »
i was trying to work on it for ages but was busy with college and stuff finally got myself a 2nd battery with power plug to power unit at home and played a little bit with tracks etc. Plus in the mean time i upgraded software on mu unit to latest one (as i had problems with shallow readings).
now:
I'm using software from other forum to merge my small tracks into bigger ones.
and whole exercise is pointless as i can not see color by depth in track menu any more (moved or deleted in new software?)
If it is removed does it means that i no longer can create HT (or any other format whatever it may be) file showing depth map?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
It was moved in recent software updates that contain the waypoint management changes.

To change an existing Track:
Look under the Nav menu tab for the “Waypoints, Routes, Tracks” menu and open it.
Select the Track that you want to show with Color by Depth and select to “Edit” that Track.
Go down to “Style” and change its setting to “Color By Depth”.
Save your changes.

To change the Current Track:
Look under the Nav menu tab for the “Current Track” menu and open it.
Select “Appearance” and go down to “Style” and change its setting to “Color By Depth”.
Save your changes.

Regardless of how a Track is shown on the display of the unit, it will still be saved as an HT file and have the water depth readings in it as long as you select to save the track and not just power off the unit.

Offline gooral

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
It was moved in recent software updates that contain the waypoint management changes.

To change an existing Track:
Look under the Nav menu tab for the “Waypoints, Routes, Tracks” menu and open it.
Select the Track that you want to show with Color by Depth and select to “Edit” that Track.
Go down to “Style” and change its setting to “Color By Depth”.
Save your changes.

nope. in "style" I can only pick: thick continous line, thin continous line, small dotted track, big dotted (squered?) track.
For all of them but last you can pick color (i think there is like 17 or so of different colors to pick from)

To change the Current Track:
Look under the Nav menu tab for the “Current Track” menu and open it.
Select “Appearance” and go down to “Style” and change its setting to “Color By Depth”.
Save your changes.

same thing as above couldn't find it.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
Gooral,
I had to find someone here with a actual 597ci HD DI unit to check this with: the Color by Depth menu option is not in the 597ci HD DI units.  According to the operations manuals it never has been either.

Offline gooral

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
ok thanks so maybe i confused it with friends unit.. ;(

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
I thought it was a feature in the 597 units too gooral until I actually looked at one (actually looked at a few different software versions).  It looks like it is on none of the 500 series color display units.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo