Author Topic: Unable to use two locators at once  (Read 6368 times)

Offline muskyhunter

Unable to use two locators at once
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »
My boat is rigged with two GPS antennas and two transducers which are independent of each other.  The front transducer is on the trolling motor and the GPS antenna is on the bow.  There is a GPS antenna in the rear and a transducer in the back.  The front connector collector only contains the connectors for the front equipment.  The rear collector connector only has the connectors for the rear equipment.  Each connector collector has an Interlink cable for synchronizing the data.  There are no GPS connections through Interlink.

My unit is a 998.  My friend also has a 998.  We decided one day to put his unit on my dash console while I ran my unit up front.  Whether both units participated on the network or both units were set not to participate, the second unit that was powered on would freeze its display.  For example, I powered up the bow unit and worked normally.  When the second unit was powered up on the console, the side and down scan displays would start reading out and then freeze on the second unit.  The front unit would continue to function normally.  The opposite also held true.  If the console was powered up first and then the bow unit, the bow unit being the second powered up unit would start to display and eventually freeze.  Depth readings were showing 1500 feet in 8 feet of water.

We carefully experimented with keeping the front transducer forward so that the side scan beams would not intersect, which would happen as the trolling motor is rotated.  We also tried to change beam frequencies to see if that would help.  What I don't understand is why the display would freeze on one of the units.  Anyone having similar experience with this scenario, I would appreciate learning how you got around that.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:37:52 PM by muskyhunter »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Unable to use two locators at once
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
Sounds like sonar-to-sonar interference to me.  Try setting the Noise Filter menu setting higher (possibly to its maximum setting).  If that does not help than try setting the Lower Range on one of the units to a different depth range than the other one is on.  Oh, make sure both units are running the latest software version in them.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
These units are known to be sensitive to external interference. Some are more susceptable than others.
It all depends on the user and how well he/she insulate the wires and cables form other influences..
Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
These units are known to be sensitive to external interference. Some are more susceptable than others.
It all depends on the user and how well he/she insulate the wires and cables form other influences..
Chuck

Except when you are talking about sonar-to-sonar interference.  Than you have to worry about the sonar beams crossing.  Than there are a whole host of factors that are not within the user’s control that influence whether this will happen or not.

Offline muskyhunter

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
Thanks.  I will try the noise filtering suggestion.  Just updated my unit to 5.5 and will work on friends unit.  Based on this information, is it fair to rule out the interlink connection between the units?

Offline NickO

• Unit(s): 898c SI, 998CI HD SI
  • Software: 6.740, 6.740
  • Accessories: Ethernet
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
Not sure where I'm going with this.... but. Was your friends unit ever setup for use with interlink? It's obvious that your 2 units were and worked fine. But just slapping on another unit without setting up could cause ???

just my .02

Nick O
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:02:33 PM by nicko »
Gee that broke easy.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
The InterLink has nothing to do with sonar or sonar-to-sonar interference.

Nicko is right though: make sure the unit is updated with 5.500 before connecting again to the InterLink.  By the way, you guys are trading waypoints when you do this (unless his unit is set up to not participate in the InterLink system).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo