Author Topic: Zoom View Fault Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3, Defective Unit or Design Fault?  (Read 3882 times)

Offline cat_in_the_hat

• Unit(s): HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3
  • Software: tbd
  • Accessories: tbd
I have a brand new unit hooked up on the bench with trolling motor XTM 9 HW MSI 150 T  transducer, was setting up preferred views. In Sonar Zoom View, Selected Bottom Lock ON. Things look good, then I leave this view pressing either View or Exit. When I return to the Sonar Zoom View, it intermittently displays the previous view with the Zoom View overlay digits mixed with the overlay digits from the previous view. If allowed to sit sometimes the correct view will eventually  come up. If I set Bottom View back to Off, the view corrects itself immediately. It does not matter if the transducer it pointed up displaying depth of 1400+ ft or down into bench surface recording depth of 6ft. This does NOT happen in Simulator Mode.This fault may or may not been present before software update to 1.940.

I need the Sonar Zoom view to work on the water with Bottom Lock ON.  Please advise what can be done or if anyone with the same unit sees the same problem. With fishing season about to start it is a very bad time to send this brand new unused unit out for repair.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:33:57 AM by cat_in_the_hat »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Did you try Restore Defaults  ...??

If yes  ... You should probably call Humminbird and report the issue to see if it's a known issue  ...

1-800-633-1468

Rickie

Offline cat_in_the_hat

I have restored defaults several times, finally just adding Bottom Lock on Sonar Zoom View as the first step after resetting defaults and it happens. I was hoping someone else with the same model unit can give it try.

Offline ezfishn

Testing on the bench may be causing the problems if it appears to be working in Simulator Mode.  Would recommend testing on the water. 

Offline cat_in_the_hat

I have concluded this is a probable unit fault.Do not have time to be without unit through the peak of spring fishing season if I can avoid it. Everything else so far appears to work in Normal Mode, so my first ubclination is to just not use Bottom Lock in Zoom Sonar View during this season and send the unit for warrantee repairs in the off season. Will contact Humminbird tomorrow.

Offline cat_in_the_hat

Careful testing prior to calling Humminbird may have found the problem. With the transducer seeing 0 to 6 feet, attempting to set Bottom Lock On with default 15 feet, that exceeds the "actual depth", fault occurs. Later, the transducer in the air decided it sees 0 to 1200 feet. and the zoom pane defaults to 576 to 1176 feet. Setting Bottom Lock On, see default 15 to 0, no problem.

In short, the Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3 software version 1.940 appears that it cannot set a bottom range greater than total perceived depth or the unit will crash the Sonar Zoom View. Will re-post if future events prove otherwise. Plan on trying this setup in shallow water on first shakedown trip.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Have you tried setting Bottom Lock in Simulator  ...??

Rickie

Offline cat_in_the_hat

This is final post, on-the-water testing shows this fault does not occur in shallow water in real use. I have more important issues to discuss in another post. Update this Zoom View fault did not happen in Simulator Mode
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 04:22:58 AM by cat_in_the_hat »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo