Author Topic: Save Settings ???  (Read 13139 times)

Offline Thermite

• Unit(s): Onix 10
Save Settings ???
« on: May 11, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
I have an ONIX10 SI CT. Ive got the latest update unzipped and I am ready update. The thing is, I am pretty sure that this is the first update that requires to reset to factory settings. Its taken me some time to get this thing's setttings the way that I want them. Is there a way to save the settings to an SD card and then just set them back after updating.

Offline Thermite

Re: Save Settings ???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
I got some great advice and was able to export my menu settings. The Nav data is another story, I have waited several hours but it never completes. Anyone else experience this?

Offline nwifishnut

• Unit(s): Onix 10 si, Onix 8ci
  • Software: 2.3
  • Accessories: I-Pilot Link,ASGPS HS,Lakemaster WI v5.0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:57:51 AM »
Thermite,

Log into My Humminbird and get to the screen with the software update instructions.  Instruction # 6 includes a link to Instructions to update Onix units.  If you click on this link, it will take you to a file that includes part of the instructions to update the Onix.  The problem is that this file says nothing about saving Menu or Nav data.  So, for the novice, you might just jump in and and update your software & in the process lose your Nav &/or  Menu data. 
However, if you scroll down, buried at the bottom of this Onix Update page file, there is a "highly recommend" statement that urges you to read the HB Software Update manual and there is a link to it.  If you click on this link and open the manual, you will finally get to the instructions related to saving Menu & Nav data prior to a software update.    This file will recommend that you save Nav & Menu data prior to software upgrades and also tells you how to do it. 
A logical consumer might wonder why this save step isn't included in the link to the Instructions to update Onix units that you receive with the software update file.
It is oversights like this that drive customers nuts and load up the HB Customer Service Group so that you have to wait in a 30 minute cue to talk to someone.  And the CS folks are great!  Once you reach them, they will do everything in their power to help you. 
If there is a silver lining in this mess, it is that the Onix, Terrova/Lake Master system is dynamite in terms of it's capabilities.  You would think that after all of this time, that someone might apply the same intellectual horsepower that develops the hardware to fixing the software documentation and communication processes.
It is highly likely that if this process were to be mapped and fixed, there would be a significant reduction in CS wait time and much happier consumers.   And I would bet lower aftermarket service cost to HB as well.

Offline Thermite

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Offline Thermite

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »
There is Encrypt option, I did encrypt it when asked when I was successful in exporting the Menu settings. I assume I'll need to encrypt again?

Offline Trytoofish

• Unit(s): Onix 8, 998HD, 798HD, Ice 55
  • Software: 2.0, 7.51,
  • Accessories: Cannonlink,Eithernet,Mag 20, Ipilot Link
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »
The encrypt option is only for encrypting a sd card to allow it to download ChartSelect maps from Humminbird. Its not necessary when saving nav data
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:13:18 AM by Trytoofish »
Try Too Fish  Forced To Work

Offline Thermite

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »
Thanks,after a lot of questions and a bit of frustration. It all worked out.

Offline squam

• Unit(s): onix 8ci SI Combo
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:56 AM »
I have recently updated my Onix 8CI SI combo to the new version 2.3.  I exported my menu settings and nav data per the instructions, ran the update, reset to factory settings, then imported both nav and menu settings. Unfortunately some, but not all of my settings were restored.  The Nav data came back fully, but not the settings.  I had created a number of custom views (data/gauges for my engine as an example) and none of those were restored.  The data bar at the bottom of my screens also didn't come back -- I had to turn it back on and re-configure all the little boxes to my preferences.  I did the import menu settings twice to make sure it had run correctly and still the same problem.  Am I missing something, or does anyone have suggestions on how to get all my custom views and settings back? 

Offline Trytoofish

• Unit(s): Onix 8, 998HD, 798HD, Ice 55
  • Software: 2.0, 7.51,
  • Accessories: Cannonlink,Eithernet,Mag 20, Ipilot Link
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 09:16:47 AM »
The import menu settings did not work for me either after the update. But it does seem to work now. I wonder if the update changed something so that the old version file would not work.
Try Too Fish  Forced To Work

Offline Thermite

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »
i havent tried to export since I did the update. It did import my settings and my Nav dat without a hitch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo