Author Topic: ALL SI Models - Extra rugged (cable) mounting kit  (Read 8277 times)

Offline SonarTRX

• SonarTRX
  • Unit(s): 998c-SI
  • Software: SonarTRX
ALL SI Models - Extra rugged (cable) mounting kit
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
Model: 
ALL SI Models
Suggested Upgrade: 
Extra rugged (cable) mounting kit
Explanation: 
I have a suggestion for Humminbird (I also posted this to the Humminbird Yahoo group, but perhaps users here have additional ideas & thoughts...)

The problem with the rather loose fit for all the humminbird cables is something many users have problems with. It cause all sorts of problems, including data-loss, reboots, intermittent GPS etc. etc. (It is also very difficult to diagnose other problems if one can not rely on the cable connections - i.e. potential to save time & money for both Humminbird and customers)

Until the issue is resolved with screw on cable connectors, or tighter fitting cables (w/Thicker pins that fits snugly into their female counterpart on the sonar), I have a suggestion:

Humminbird could manufacture a set of adapters that fits between the current sonar models and the existing cables:

1. Each adapter fits a particular cable connector (i.e. power, sonar, gps etc.), and they have male pins of slightly larger diameter than what found on the existing cables. They will then fit firmly into the sonar's (female) connectors.

2. Each adapter have female sockets, for each pin, with a tigher fit so they provide better connection with the (thinner) pins found most of the Humminbird cables.

3. Each adapter has a hinged metal clip that locks the cable in place. The clip can be similar to what used to secure computer power- cables to the back of the chassis of PC's - when used on a ship or in environments with vibration

4. The adapters could be sold individually or as a "kit" for any given sonar.

5. The adapters could also be sold as an assmembly (i.e. on a plate with adapters in appropriate position to match a particular sonar model) It should be possible to secure the entire assembly-plate to the back of the sonar with screws. With individual clips to lock each cable it becomes easier to manage if you move the sonar between boats/jet-skis/kayaks.

The power cable for my 998c-SI is so loosly fitting that it falls out "by just thinking about it". I know that I can bend the pins, but I think that it would be a great if Humminbird could provide a specially designed "extra rugged mounting kit" that includes the above adapter with firmer electrical connectors and individual clamps for each cable.

For future models & cables, I hope this can be built into the sonar, including individual mechanisms to secure each cable (or use of screw-on connectors.)
Added in Software Version: 
Comments on Update: 

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: ALL SI Models - Extra rugged (cable) mounting kit
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »
Absolutely a needed improvement.
I think that a lot of problems are due to ill fitting cables and connectors.
HB needs to rethink their marketing process and deliver a quality product in all aspects . And this certainly includes the cables and connectors.

A + 99 on this wish list.

Chuck

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »
I can only support, the quality of the connections is not the best.  :(

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
wondering if any more information on this wish. This weekend we experienced a questionable sonar scan and traced it back to the T-3 connection.
We are a bit different in use as we have protable sonars and the connectors are separated each use and store cycle.
Without completely retrofitting the current unit We hope that HB will move towards a screw type fitting thus making the connection more rigid and durable.
I have looked at three other devices and they use the higher quality connection.
Maybe in 2013 HB can put a more rugged connection in new products. It cant cost that much more and will fix some of the loose issue we have now...
Chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo