Author Topic: Trolling motor interference with Terrova 101/IPilot and 1198cSI  (Read 12150 times)

Offline davyt

Trolling motor interference with Terrova 101/IPilot and 1198cSI
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »
I'm getting aggravated with Humminbird here, I've got a Terrova 101 w/ IPilot on the bow, an 1198cSI, an 1157 and a Vantage 101 on the back.  I have nasty interference between the Terrova 101 and the finders.  I've isolated everything and just run it with the 1198 on and the Terrova off and on, and it's pretty obvious that it's trolling motor interference:

You can see where I turned the Terrova off and back on there.

I've tried everything in the faq humminbird directed me to (http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849), but none of it helped.  Customer service just directs me to the faq.

So I'm sitting on about $7500 of Humminbird product, and getting more and more annoyed every time I go out with it.  Anyone have any ideas?  Evidently there's some kind of trolling motor interference kit that customer service doesn't want to offer me, anyone know how I can get one of those?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:42:47 PM by davyt »

Offline Whistler

• Unit(s): 1198c SI, 1199ci, Helix 12 SI G2N
  • Software: 7.510,7.460,1.460
  • Accessories: Heading Sensor, NMEA
Re: Trolling motor interference with Terrova 101/IPilot and 1198cSI
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
Have you looked at this thread

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=2659.msg19808#msg19808

The thing that worked for me was running a wire from the negative terminal of my TM battery to the shaft of my trolling motor.  Actually I just connected the wire to the negative wire going to my 798.  You may have to run the wire down to the trolling motor housing/skeg if your tm shaft is composite.

Offline davyt

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
Thanks Whistler, I did read that another thread with the same advice and try that though, it seemed to actually make the interference a little bit worse!

I could see getting blown off by Humminbird / Johnson if I was mixing and matching products from different companies, but I went with their top of the line stuff across the board to avoid this sort of hassle. 

It seems outrageous that they sell products that don't work together, then their solution is to spend hours of my time and days out on the lake screwing around with their products trying to hack together a fix.

It should be pretty simple, we can even take the Vantage and the 1157 out of the equation for now:

I have a Terrova 101 w/ IPilot and a 1198c SI on a Lund Pro V.  That can't be an obscure combination.  There's interference between their flagship trolling motor and their flagship finder that makes their product unusable.  I know that's not an obscure problem, as these forums are filled with posts about interference.

This was all installed at an authorized Minnkota and Lund dealer.

So how are you going to make this right Humminbird?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:58:06 PM by davyt »

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »
The noise problem comes from the trolling motor PWM speed control.  MG has the same issue.  The higher freq si tends to have more issue with this.  I see people with Lowrance struture scan reporting the same issues.  Dealing with noise is a process of elimination and isolation, along with adding ferite and wire chokes.
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »
The noise problem comes from the trolling motor PWM speed control.  MG has the same issue.  The higher freq si tends to have more issue with this.  I see people with Lowrance struture scan reporting the same issues.  Dealing with noise is a process of elimination and isolation, along with adding ferite and wire chokes.

+1
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline davyt

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:33 AM »
Ok...

I'm sure you guys are trying to help, but I've gone through every step in the FAQ, talked to customer service multiple times, I recognize the problem is in the PWM speed control, I've gone so far in terms of isolation as to run the trolling motor off of a completely separate battery I brought along and stuck in the bow.

Believe me, I'd love to "eliminate" the noise.  As far as ferrite and wire chokes, maybe Humminbird should provide some if that's the fix, I'm already running the PC-11 cables.

I've spent a good $7500 on this stuff, that's half a new Honda Civic.  If you bought a new Honda Civic, brought it home and the engine didn't run, would you be happy if the dealership gave you a copy of a Haynes repair manual and told you to go buy some wrenches?

I'm mystified that people find this acceptable.  I don't really care if another brand has the same problem, I'd be aggravated at them too if I bought a bunch of their product and it didn't work together.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:12:22 AM by davyt »

Offline Bob B

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:23:01 AM »
I think everyone understands how difficult and frustrating the interference problem can be, but it is a fact of life when it comes to this technology.....regardless of the vendor.

You just have to keep reading, asking for more suggestions, and doing everything possible....including installing chokes.... until the problem is eventually resolved.....or take it to a professional who can resolve it for you.

Blasting Humminbird is not going to get it done for you and will just alienate the people on here who have the knowledge to help you.  If you really want to resolve this I think you need to shift your perspective.

Offline davyt

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 01:29:13 AM »
Listen Bob, It's unhelpful and disrespectful to say that my perspective is the problem, not the fact that their product doesn't work together properly.  I've spent hours reading threads, scouring google, checking the FAQ and on the line to customer service trying to solve this thing, and days on the lake unsuccessfully testing various fixes only to be left with the same problem.  Scroll down to "related topics" and you'll find that I'm far from the only one dealing with this.

I'll happily change my perspective and sing the praises of Humminbird when they step up and show me how to fix the thing.  Until then, obviously my perspective will be that of a dissatisfied customer.

I'm not out to alienate or argue with anyone, I'm sharing my experience and hoping someone has an idea that I haven't tried yet. 

Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:32:35 AM by davyt »

Offline Bob B

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 01:42:18 AM »
Sorry if I have got you pegged wrong, but it was suggested that you could benefit from the chokes and you just seemed to dismiss it offhand and complain some more about Humminbird instead of asking more questions about a source for the chokes or how to use them.
I am always suspicious of the motive of someone who is brand new to the forum and spends as much time bashing as seeking answers.

I am just suggesting that there are a lot of guys on here that have a lot of knowledge, who try very hard to help others who are having problems, but don't appreciate the Humminbird bashing.

Maybe you could post some pictures and more information about your installation and what specific things you have already tried to do to resolve the problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:01:47 AM by Bob B »

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
I doubt this will make you feel better, but you could have spent allot less to have the same problem. ;)   Put some non-resister spark plugs in your civic, then you can bash your aftermarket high-end stereo mfg, because of the noise coming out of the speakers. 

What did MK tell you to do?  Also interested in response you got from the parent company, Johnson? 

Some info: http://mysite.verizon.net/restmvit/tmintf.html

Trolling Motor Choke: http://store.humminbird.com/products/323062/TMC_1

Install Instructions: http://store.humminbird.com/media/document/TMC_1.pdf

Show us your wiring diagram.   Tell us what you have tried and any impact.   Being it is a Lund, means probably alum, which means, even if there isn't a hull ground connection, there is probably at least a high resistance one through the outboard engine to the hull.   Is there a heavy ground wire between your trolling motor batteries and the starter battery? 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:23:01 AM by FuzzyGrub »
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
davyt

Lets dial this back a bit.  Most of us have had some levels of noise from our trolling motors. 

I still have interference from my Motorguide, Humminbird has been very responsive, which includes sending me a large choke and a new transducer.  It improved the noise but I still have it. 

I have yet to try a direct wire to my battery, which I will (when I get around to it).  Even with the noise I would make the same purchase, I find that I can read through the noise. 

From what I have read there may be several different ways to wire the trolling motor to the battery. 

I believe that folks have ran the wire down to the motor and to the battery, not sure but some may have used the negative pole and some the positive pole.

Some have wired to the top of the shaft again some wire to the negative side and some to the positive side.

Some have opened up there system and wired inside.

Different systems may require different methods.  Now when I get around to wiring mine I intend to use 12 gauge stranded wire soldered to a thin copper plate which will be hose clamped to the top of my shaft.  And I will try both positive and negative.  Positive sounds scary to me but I do remember reading something that it will not hurt or drain the battery.  But you can bet that I will be careful when I try it.

Keep an open mind there is more then one way to fix this. 

As far as Humminbird goes their customer service has been the best, probems with them have been the rare exception, not the rule.  Many HB fans are new and came from Lowrance because of having poor customer service.  That is probably why some of the folks have said some things, they are protective of HB.

Hopefully someone will help you with this.

George

Offline CaptainMark

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster  >:D

Davyt:
Yes, interference is incredibly frustrating.  I don't think you are out of line being a little miffed as this is a very common and (in some cases) a very difficult to isolate problem.  The screenshots and FAQ on the website are there because of the frequent occurrence of interference...not exactly something that is advertised, but not hard to find out as far as consumer reviews go either.  Sort of a not too well kept secret that tends to get consumers a little peeved.

To get on track...HB and competitors have trouble with interference.  HB takes care of their customers and some competitors, not so much.  While they might not be able to 'make it right' as far as your time goes, they can give you more help and support than just directing you to the FAQ.  There is lots of mention of guys who have been sent three different transducers, power cables, chokes, etc, etc.  I can't speak from personal experience, but this should not be out of the question.

I know in my dealings with different companies that not all customer service reps are created equal.  I am not sure how many you have talked to or how or if you are 'flagged' as a customer.  I would ask to talk to a supervisor or maybe Greg (he boots around some of these forums) can get you the satisfaction you want.  With all that $$ in these products from the same company, I would think that they should be sending you the works.  Hopefully they will and you can report back that HB made things right.  If not, I think you are justified in expressing your frustration toward the company.  I bet you will see that they will send you the master interference-reducing kit though  ;D

Offline Bob B

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
I don't want to beat this horse to death,,,,,,,,but,,,Your attitude when talking to customer service can make a big difference.  Just like it does when approaching the people on this forum who like their Humminbirds.

I know, they should be trained to handle angry customers, but people are people and they way you approach the conversation matters. 
I would give them another call, put your anger with the problem behind you....you spent a lot of money and have a problem.....but beating up a customer service rep who can't perform the miracle of making you not to have had the problem, is going to be counterproductive.  They can only work with you to try to resolve it.

Humminbird customer service has help many other people resolve their problem.....as stated earlier, the cause of the interference is dependent on your specific installation, wiring, how the wires are ran, what batttery you are connect to , etc, etc.

Offline CaptainMark

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
I don't want to beat this horse to death,,,,,,,,but,,,Your attitude when talking to customer service can make a big difference.  Just like it does when approaching the people on this forum who like their Humminbirds.

That's what I was talking about when I was mentioning a 'flagged' customer  :-X

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 08:02:31 AM »
I understand your frustration, but sometimes it takes some work and cooperation to
get things right.

If I were you, I would write down and document everything you have tried.
Include part numbers if possible.

Also, write down your current configuration.

Then, call Humminbird customer service and CALMLY, repeat, CALMLY go through
your list of what you have done, and tell them how your system is currently configured.
They won't be able to help you until they completely understand your current set-up.

Then, ask them what you should do next.
Do exactly what they tell you, in the order they tell you.
Then call them back and tell them the results.
If you are patient and follow their directions, I'm positive you
will get the problem solved eventually.

If you bad mouth Humminbird and be nasty to customer service,  then you'll
get exactly what that behavior rightly deserves.  Nothing.

I hope you get it fixed.
And remember, that Humminbird wants happy customers.
They are not out to get you.  They will work with you if you
show them some kindness and respect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo