Author Topic: Transducer not recognized?  (Read 10167 times)

Offline Fishstick

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
Transducer not recognized?
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:29 PM »
I installed my new 798 with 2 transducers ( SI & thru hull ) along with the Y cable. Unit does not recognize the dual beam ducer but the SI is fine. The connection at the Y cable seems very loose and i've tried a few things with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Can't wait to get on the water but I need to get this figured out. It seems so simple
with it being just a 2 pin connection. Ideas?

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Transducer not recognized?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:36:44 PM »
Fishstick,

Welcome to the forum.  Is the unit giving you any 2d at all?  What transducer are you using?  In order for the SI to work, you should be getting some 2d.  The 2d sets the ping rate.

Did you try slightly bending the pins out a little?

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:58 PM »
Fishstick,
I’m not clear here: with both transducers connected to the AS-Si-DB-Y cable, will the unit recognize that a transducer is connected?
Is that the XP-9-20 transducer you have for the 2D transducer?  If so than I understand why it is not recognizing it when connected alone: the unit will first look for a temperature reading and since this transducer does not have one it than transmits and listens for the transducer element to ‘ring out’.  If the transducer is not in the water this really does not work well.  In the water it works far better at detecting the transducer but it is still not 100%.  So make sure that all of your transducer connection testing is done on the water.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Fishstick

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
Yes, with both connected it does recognize a transducer. My initial on the water test was mainly to try a find the sweet spot to mount the SI transducer and as i got that figured out i noticed there was no 2D signal. Back at home I disconnected the SI ducer and noticed it did not recognize any TD. When the SI is connected to the Y cable by itself it is recognized. The other ducer is a XAP-9-20. Should i plug it straight into the unit bypassing the Y cable or do you think something isn't set right on the unit and I really don't have a problem with the connection.
      Also, am i right in that my 2D signal will only come thru the hull when they are both connected?

Offline Fishstick

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Today I permanently mounted the SI TD after my initial test last weekend worked well for SI. I also did the software update to 4.78.
I was very nervous about this after reading some of the posts here and on other sites. That went very well, as it took about 5 seconds to update after installing the SD card in the unit, without a glitch.
   If anyone has the same setup as me, let me know how the downimaging has been working thru the hull. I'm thinking i should have gone with a transducer switch instead of the Y cable so i could get a 2D reading from the SI TD. Hope to get on the water soon to test everything

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:28:09 PM »
Fishstick,

The DownImaging is done through the Side Imaging not the 2D, so you should not see any difference!

Glad everything went well.  I do want to ask though, you said the update only took 5 seconds?  Did you get a Green Screen at the end that said Software Update Complete and then the unit rebooted itself?

Just checking, because 5 seconds is pretty quick!

Good Luck,

Robert

Offline Fishstick

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
Robert,
  From the time I confirmed I did not want to abort the update till the
update was completed was only a few seconds. Then it rebooted and it was done. Then I went to restore defaults. I will say that I installed my SD card with the unit on as you have suggested. Humminbird says to put in the card and then power on the unit.
  So when I get out on the water what do I need to do to view downimaging from the SI TD? Is it just simply selecting from the View Menu?
  I'm still not sure about my Thru hull TD working but I will test it on the water this week.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »
Fishstick,
That XAP-9-20 transducer does not have a built-in temperature sensor in it either and so may be recognized when it is connected.  Still, with the Si transducer connected its 2D sonar should work.  Next trip out on the water I would try connecting just the Si transducer (without the transducer splitter y-cable) to see if you get Si and 2D sonar.  If you do I would unplug the Si transducer while the unit is still running and than plug in the XAP-9-20 transducer (again without the splitter cable) to see if you get a 2D sonar reading.

Offline Fishstick

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »
Went for a test drive today. Some good, some not so good. I did try a few different things to narrow down whats going on.
1. Using the SI TD only- everything works fine. Lose 2D at about 8mph due to TD location. That's fine because i expected that.
2. With the XAP-9-20 plugged directly into the unit, bypassing the Y cable, the unit goes into simulation mode due to not regognizing a TD.
That leads me to believe the TD does not work at all because it definitly
has a good connection.
3. With both TDs plugged into the Y cable I only get SI & temp. No 2D, no downimage. So that tells me I'm supposed to get the downimage thru the hull, not from the SI ducer, when both are run thru the Y cable correct? Otherwise I would continue to get downimaging thru the SI TD
like i did when it was run with just the SI TD.
  So how do I go about getting another XAP-9-20
On the bright side, the Navionics Premium was great. Nice detail & 1 ft contours.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:06:12 AM »
Fishstick,
Did you try plugging in just the Si transducer, get the unit running and showing a bottom reading and than unplug the Si transducer (with the unit still running) and plug in the XAP-9-20 transducer?

If not try this next time out: power the unit on with the Si transducer connected.  Go to the Set-up menu tab and scroll down until you see the Demonstration menu and set it to “Off”.  Now try and connect up only the XAP-9-20 transducer to see if it will give a bottom reading or not.  When you installed the XAP transducer did you test it prior to installing it?  If not, you may have placed it in an area where it not able to shoot the sonar signal through the hull.

For the Di sonar: check it with only the Si transducer connected.  If you are still not seeing it; check the software version in your 798 unit as you may not have the current 4.780 version that gives the 798 this capability.

Offline Fishstick

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
I will try turning the demo off and switch Tds. I put it in the hull where i had my old one. That gave good readings at 55+mph. I didn't think a brand new one wouldn't work.
  I just updated to 4.78. I do get DI from the SI TD when run by itself.
It's just when run through the Y cable that DI doesn't work.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Fishstick

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »
Still no reading from my dual beam puck. Signal  goes away when i unplug the SI TD and plug in the XAP 9 20. Customer service is sending a new TD. I will give that a try. I noticed here on the forum that Mady( 3-13-2010 )  reported a very similar condition with a XP 9 20T. The difference was running it through a switch rather than a Y cable but had the same result of the "TD not connected" warning from the unit.
  It has been reported on this site that ,when running a Y cable, that the 2D signal from the SI TD is cut off and will only come from the thru hull TD. Speed is not a factor. Humminbird customer service told me directly conflicting info. Said that the unit switches to the thru hull after
speeds of about 10mph but when going slow all signals come from the SI TD. Could someone please explain what really happens when hooking up the Y cable to 2 Transducers?
   Thanks for the great forum. There is alot of good info here.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »
The unit does not switch between the two transducers at a given speed automatically.  There is no way to do this other than with a tranducer switch.

Here is a little test.  Unplug the thru-hull transducer from the Y cable (leave the Y cable connected to HDSI transd) while you are standing still and see if you get any 2d readings.  Let us know what happens!

Robert

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »
Here is a drawing showing the electrical connections that are made when you use the AS-Si-DB-Y cable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo