Author Topic: fuses??????  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Blueknight222

• Unit(s): 565
fuses??????
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »
I just bought a new 597ci HD DI. There is no in line fuse. Should I add one? I already have a 565 and that did not have a fuse either. Nothing in any of the instructions mentioned fuses. Help!

Thanks

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: fuses??????
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Yes I would add fuse(s).   As with all electrical equipment protection from over current is the fuse's responsibility.
While most fuse insertion at or near the source, we prefer to fuse near the unit itself to eliminate any shorts from interfering with source.
A 3 amp fuse should be used and the best is the in-line bayonet and socket type. Salt water can have a creeping effect so make sure the fuse is dry and protected from any water influence.

Not sure why the units shipped without a fuse.  Were these new out of the box from dealer or supplier.  Or bought elsewhere?

Chuck
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:02:28 AM by sonar2000 »

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
Re: fuses??????
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
They should have built a fuse holder and fuse into the unit.  But then it would have to be accessible and that may be a problem if you want to design a unit that will float and is water proof if it falls into the lake.  But then again the SDHC slots are not waterproof so why can't they build a fuse into the unit with a access door like that which is used for the SDHC chips?

I want to remove my current fuse holder and switch over to the 3 amp blade type fuse holder and fuse.  I also need to solder the lines together.  Right now I am using quick connectors which work great so far.  I can remove the power line easily from the wiring that come off the starting battery in the back of my boat.  I had to run about 6 ft of wiring from the back of the boat up to the steering control center where my 898 Sits.

Yes I would add fuse(s).   As with all electrical equipment protection from over current is the fuse's responsibility.
While most fuse

insertion at or near the source, we prefer to fuse near the unit itself to eliminate any shorts from interfering with source.
A 3 amp fuse should be used and the best is the in-line bayonet and socket type. Salt water can have a creeping effect so make sure the fuse is dry and protected from any water influence.

Not sure why the units shipped without a fuse.  Were these new out of the box from dealer or supplier.  Or bought elsewhere?

Chuck
Regards,

Moose1am

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal