Author Topic: to update or not  (Read 6661 times)

Offline auto culto

to update or not
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »
Hi I have owned a 897csi almost since they were released for sale and never updated it from new. I have looked but thought it seem a bit long winded tryin to work out what needs to be installed. Do you think its worth while updating it or adopt the attitude "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: to update or not
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
Most will say dont fix what aint broken and probably are the wisest words.  Check around the forum for posts on updates and decide if you want the added change. Or if they are even necessary for you.
If you do update, the make sure you have a copy of your current code. (On its own sd card without anything else.) Follow the update instructions to the letter..

Chuck

Offline navionic

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
Hi I have owned a 897csi almost since they were released for sale and never updated it from new. I have looked but thought it seem a bit long winded tryin to work out what needs to be installed. Do you think its worth while updating it or adopt the attitude "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?
Rather, we mean Humminbird 987c SI Combo
Meaning there is a firmware update. added function DownImaging.

Offline strawdg

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Rather, we mean Humminbird 987c SI Combo
Meaning there is a firmware update. added function DownImaging.

Firmware updates should always be looked at considering "what will I stand to gain if I do this".

Part of the problem with the way HB provides their updates is that as soon as an update comes out the previous versions go away, along with the update history information. Many company's will at least provide version information so customers know what and when things were made available.

The fact that the update version information is no longer available after a new update is available makes it very hard to decide if one wants to do an update to the latest, or just update to a version between the latest and what is presently on their units.

As an example you may want to update to a version that adds "Down Imaging" if you don't have it, but may not necessarily want to move to the latest update that adds something like 360 Imaging, if the latest update hasn't been out long and isn't proven yet.

One other consideration is that if you have problems with your unit and have to contact service. The first question they are likely to ask is if you are running the latest version..... if the answer is no then they ARE going to want you to do the update. But if the update doesn't fix the problem it would be nice to have version information so you know where to go back to if the latest update also adds extra problems.

With my 998c I got a copy of the version it came with as soon as I got the unit, then I updated to the next version which was the latest at the time. When the next version came out (only a couple of weeks later) I downloaded that and after reading the version information decided to let that one ride for a while to see what others had to say about it..... to date the opinion on the latest version is still up in the air so I haven't applied it.

The problem in my case now, is that I can no longer go back to the HB website and see what the version information differences are between my original version and the middle version I updated to.

So now I can no longer make an educated decision to go go back to my original version, if I notice problems with the present version. The only information available from HB is for an even later version.

Straw

Offline navionic

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
Firmware updates should always be looked at considering "what will I stand to gain if I do this".
The problem in my case now, is that I can no longer go back to the HB website and see what the version information differences are between my original version and the middle version I updated to.
Straw
I absolutely agree that in addition to the history of updates to the user to be able to roll back to any version of the firmware necessary to him. Unfortunately at the moment this is not possible. Although this attempt to create a forum archive firmware. Although users do not see the benefits of a particular version. I think it is necessary to put a general question to identify a stable version and recommend it.
By the way for the unit in question Humminbird 987c SI Combo .
Only adds new features without sacrificing work.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:14:42 PM by navionic »

Offline strawdg

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »

By the way for the unit in question Humminbird 987c SI Combo .
Only adds new features without sacrificing work.

Yes...... in a perfect world.... 8)

However in our world.... It is just the nature of firmware updates, there is the possibility, that along with adding those great new features, the update also adds a bug to a feature that we actually deem to be more necessary.

If we have done an update that covers more than one version to get those new features, there is quite likely a version in between that gives us part of the new features but not the bug.

Under the present firmware upgrade process there is no way to know that, AND no way officially to pick that in between update. There is no official firmware history available, so we don't even know what version to ask customer service for..... ???

As a matter of fact I am going to the HB website now to copy and paste the latest version information to keep along with the firmware. Doesn't help me with my previous two versions but will be something I will always do in the future.

Of course I also have NO way to access Bug Reports which again leaves us somewhat in the dark..... :P

Straw

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:37:06 PM by strawdg »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »
Good question Straw.  I dont think the HB site posts all of the fixes or everything the update code does.
I think you have made a great point in that we ( and maybe this should be a part of this forum) a place for descriptions of code updates.   
Hopefully in the future we can make that happen.
I will forward to Robert.

Although the point being that Hb should have historical data archives.

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:45:25 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline strawdg

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »
Also as an aside.... Though maybe not quite as critical, all this should also apply to HumPC. If for no other reason... it is proper software practice... :D

Straw

Offline strawdg

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
Good question Straw.  I dont think the HB site posts all of the fixes or everything the update code does.
I think you have made a great point in that we ( and maybe this should be a part of this forum) a place for descriptions of code updates.   
Hopefully in the future we can make that happen.
I will forward to Robert.

Although the point being that Hb should have historical data archives.

Chuck

Shame..... All Bug fixes should absolutely be noted ..... and tracked. Else we are all working under the "Ready.... Fire....Aim" principle. :'(

Straw
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:29:08 PM by strawdg »

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
I don't know the 987 very well, but if you have an old software version that doesn't include the down imaging capability, I would  recommend you do an update.

When Humminbird comes out with a new update and adds features, there are usually a few bugs that they have to work out, but after a while they always get things working correctly.  Since the 987 doesn't have ethernet, its current software updates should be stable.  The software  for all models was pretty stable as far as I know until the recent update for the 360 and I-pilot link......... that won't affect your unit.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
....Else we are all working under the "Ready.... Fire....Aim" principle. :'(

Straw

And this is exactly why I watch the boards for a while before updating to any new release....

There are always some that are willing to ....ready....aim....fire ...(i.e. be the guinea pig )...

Rickie

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
auto culto,
Is your unit a 987c Si model?
What software version do you have in it now?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo