Author Topic: Considering Helix 10 with Mega side imaging for walleyes on the bottom  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Larry Hart

• Unit(s): 597
I fish for walleye on Lake Erie near Ashtabula.  The fish are in 40 feet during the spring, and gradually move out to 70 feet in the summer.   Walleye hang out near the bottom, so I am wondering if it is possible to see them with side imaging.  I have been told that side imaging does not have enough resolution to see walleye when they are 70 feet down.   Has anyone used side imaging on a Helix with the Mega transducer to find walleye in water depth of 40 feet or more?

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
im curious too
I fish walleye in river system approx. 20-25 feet
I have a 1198 now rarely ever use 800hz...but wonder if new technology with dedicated crystal and chirp might image a lot better??
just not ready to spend a couple thousand to find out its another gimmick
Thoughts?? Feedback appreciated??
DS
stgr

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
The challenge with SI in deep water is that the SI Range must be set to a value higher than 70 to see any bottom detail on the screen... while the 70ft of water column takes up most of the screen ...

Then that greater SI Range setting causes fish echoes to be so small that they are challenging to pick out from the bottom detail ...

Rickie

Offline October1

• Unit(s): Getting ready to buy
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: None
The challenge with SI in deep water is that the SI Range must be set to a value higher than 70 to see any bottom detail on the screen... while the 70ft of water column takes up most of the screen ...

Then that greater SI Range setting causes fish echoes to be so small that they are challenging to pick out from the bottom detail ...

Rickie
Couldn't you go into the SI Enhancement section on the unit to remove the water column and nullify that problem?

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
A suggestion.  Say your tooling down the lake looking at SI.  You see something that looks different on the image.  Hit the cursor to freeze the image.  Move the cursor over the item and hit the Mark key.  Now you have a waypoint at that location.  Change your view to Chart/Sonar view.  On the sonar side of the view, hit menu once for X-Press menu.  Go to Upper Range and set it to 10 feet above the bottom.  Go to Lower Range and set it to 5 feet below the bottom.  Navigate to the waypoint and scan the area in 2D sonar.  If your using 200kHz, you will be looking at the bottom area equal to 1/3rd the depth.  If using 83kHz, that will equal the depth.  If anything is there, you should be able to see it.

Mike

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Couldn't you go into the SI Enhancement section on the unit to remove the water column and nullify that problem?

Contour Mode On does indeed shut off the water column ... But targets on the bottom in 70ft of water are still 70ft from the xducer ...

They will still be very small echoes ...

Cranking the Chart speed up will elongate those small echoes making them easier to see ...but that also blurs the bottom detail ...

Rickie

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
good suggestions for settings...but I was wondering if anyone has actually tried the new gen 2 and how it stacks up against older models of helix or core units?
I rarely use the 800hz on my 1198....
DS
stgr

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
If you aren't a member over here    http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34   Check it out and ask you question over there.  That site is specialized for Walleye fishing.  Jason Halfen is a Humminbird Pro staff who frequents that site and it VERY knowledgable about Humminbird electronics.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo