Author Topic: Unstable While Reconfiguring  (Read 2759 times)

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
Unstable While Reconfiguring
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:23:56 PM »
This weekend, I installed 5.840 on my 798ci.  I followed the same procedure as the prior release, reset defaults, and then inserting the SD card with the S/W after it has powered up.   The actual install goes very quick and smooth.  Powered it off and then back on.

When I was reconfiguring all the features to the prior settings I ran into some trouble.  I was about three screens in, and noticed a significant slowdown.  I'd press an arrow key to traverse a menu, get a beep, but the screen lag was significant.  Menu tab options for other pull-downs showed up in the one I was on.   After a little bit, it seemed to clear up.   It happened again, but this time the unit reboot.  I lost some of the settings, but the issue nver happened again. 

I think something similiar happened on the prior release, but without the reboot.  I have seen a number of complaints about instability.  Is this the type of thing others have been noticing?  or is something starting to go wrong with my unit? 

If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline Double Digit

• Unit(s): 998 c si...Navionics Platinum +
  • Software: 6.180
Re: Unstable While Reconfiguring
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
FuzzyGrub....I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your unit its the update...Whenever it is time for me to update its like oh boy here we go again.I had an update wreak havoc on my 898 I did everything by the book and still the update did me in.So when the new update comes out for my 998 to get rid of the SI readouts I am gonna have lots of anxiety until I go through every menu and see all went well....

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:19 AM »
Hopefully, there will be another update for the 798ci this spring. 

JohnS

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:15:20 AM »
Fuzzy,
Have you tried loading an older version software back into your 798 unit to see if it still happens?  If it does not than I would try re-downloading the 5.840 software from the Humminbird web site again and update the unit again.  I do not think that we have been receiving complaints about this from all of the other 798 users or there would be a whole more posts about this on this and other web sites.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
Greg,

No I haven't tried reloading an old version, even though I have them on the HD.  If I find other anomolies, I'll probably try that.   One thing that may be triggering it, is getting a gps fix in the middle of setting up the different parameters.   I do my S/W loads on a portable unit (good 12V source), inside the house.  Once the S/W is loaded, I reboot, and start setting up parameters ASAP.  In the meantime, the unit is trying to establish a gps position, but takes a little while given only using the internal receiver, within the house.   Right now, that is only a hunch.   

I'm hoping HB is providing at least one more release for the 798ci that will include the advertised 2012 features.   When I load that, I'll let in get gps position fix before changing parameters. 

JohnS

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
Fuzzy, you might be on to something.  I have noticed (but cant remember the particulars) of just what you described.
In a nut shell I had to wait for a gps fix to get the unit back to a completely customized setup..

Good observation Fuzzy....

chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal