Author Topic: 898cSi transom tranducer mount  (Read 7291 times)

Offline psudude

• Unit(s): 787c2i, 898c si
898cSi transom tranducer mount
« on: June 07, 2011, 05:12:23 PM »
First off hi to everyone, this is my first post.  I just recently purchased an 898c si, which I'm pretty excited about!  I have a couple of questions though in terms of where the best location is for the transducer on the transom.  I've been looking through some of the previous posts and thought I might be able to get some input before I start drilling holes.  Because every boat/situations seems to be different.  My boat is a Lowe aluminum bass boat.  I currently have a 787c2i and another low grade unit both mounted on the transom of the boat.  Right now I'm leaning towards moving the bow mounted 787 to a trolling motor configuration.  With that being said if I remove the two existing transducers and mount 898 transducer near the same location of the previous transducers is there anything that might cause interference with it, i.e. the step, livewell/bilge ports??  The reason I'm considering moving the 787 is mostly due to the fact that it is mounted exactly after a rib and has poor readings at high speed.  Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

(I can get more detailed photos if necessary)
ila_renderedila_rendered

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: 898cSi transom tranducer mount
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
 Another connsideration is the closeness of the two transducers, unless you only use one at a time...you might want to seperate them one on each side of the boat...
Chuck

Offline psudude

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
The two transducers seen above have been removed.  I just need to figure out where to mount the 898c si transducer.  Any suggestions?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
If you were not getting good high-speed depth readings with the 787c2i unit by having the transducer at that location than I doubt that the 898c Si’s larger HDSi transducer will give you highs-peed readings there either.  I’m thinking that you may have to install a transducer on the lower step on your boat to get good high-speed readings – but I don’t think that there is enough room for the HDSi transducer there.  If you want high-speed depth readings off the 898 unit than you will probably have to install a transducer just for that on the step.  The 898's HDSi transducer could than be mounted in the location of the two removed transducers but you may have to trim the motor up some to get unblocked left Si soanr.  You will need to connect the two transducers together with the AS-Si-DB-Y cable for the 898 unit.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:29:32 AM by Humminbird_Greg »
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline psudude

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies, Greg and Chuck.  I guess if I find that I need high speed depth readings I can look into another transducer.  Are there any options for shoot thru hull transducers for my boat??  My biggest concern is mounting the 898 transducer in the best spot to get good SI readings.  The old mounts were 15" from the edge of the motor plate.  Would it be better to try mounting it closer to the keel of the boat (say 15" from the centerline of the motor)?  Sorry for all of the questions I just want to make sure I have considered all options before I drill more holes.  I want to make it right on the first shot.   

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
Humminbird does not make an inside-the-hull transducer for aluminum boats but a company called Radarsonics does.  Look up there web site and under new products (it has been out for years) is something called the AlumaDucer which is an inside-the-hull transducer for aluminum boats.  I’ve heard mixed reviews about it though so you are on your own with this.  We have the XSO-9-20-T transducer which is a smaller Stick-On transducer that is mounted under the hull via VHB tape.  That could be an option for you.

I would mount the HDSi transducer as close to the motor as you can get it.  Maybe just to the right side of the motor mount so it is out of the way of the motor trimming all the way down or when it turns.  I would mount it low enough so that the left Si beam shoots under the motor mount and in between the motor and transom.  Maybe at the same height as the others were or a little higher if you fish in stump infested waters.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline psudude

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »
Just a quick update... I spent most of last evening swatting mosquitoes and mounting the transducer just below and to the right of the motor mount.  Then took it out on the water this morning.  As a result, I didn't spend much time casting because this thing is awesome.  Talk about a game changer.  I spent a better part of 2 hours just idling around the lake.  Unfortunately the current transducer mount location doesn't give me any depth readings over 10mph.  And the SI only gives quality readings below 4mph, which is fine.  Would altering the height or tilt have any influence on my top speed readings for 2D or because I have it mounted right after a step, would that cavitation (originating from the step) negate any adjustments??  Right now, I have the transducer parallel with the hull and it comes down almost a quarter inch from the transom.  I did have to trim the motor up a little but no more than I usually do when I'm running in shallower water.  I'm definitely going to look into hooking up a second 2D transducer for depth readings at higher speeds.  Thanks for all the help Greg!  I'm glad I posted here first!

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »
PSU; Mounting aft of the step will degrade readings. I had to mount a xducer about were the boat rest on the trl bunk, slid the boat back 3" on the bunk got the low speed SI and high speed 2d. did not have to kick the motor up. Roddy :)
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo