Author Topic: 797 C2 SI Best Set-Up for lake fishing in Alabama?  (Read 9091 times)

Offline smithbl

• Unit(s): 797 C2 SI
797 C2 SI Best Set-Up for lake fishing in Alabama?
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
I have everything set as it was when it was purchased. I can't see very much in the side imaging. I mostly use it to find my way around new lakes and to find the channel in unknown waters. I want to learn how to actually use what I have.
Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to set all of the goodies? I have gone out to Humminbird and downloaded all of the updates. (I did this a couple of weeks ago)

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Re: 797 C2 SI Best Set-Up for lake fishing in Alabama?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
Hi smithbl and welcome to the forum!

You need to play for a while when you're first out with your new unit, but the time you invest there is really an investment you'll never regret.

First set your unit to advanced mode in the set up tab. Then you have all access to different settings.
Next choose fresh water as your water type ( I think you're in fresh water in Alabama, right?).

An important setting is your chart speed in relation to your boat speed to get good pictures and avoid "shrink" or "stretched" pictures. I wrote something about it here:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=916.msg4657#msg4657

Another thing: Side range in relation to water depth: Robert adviced to set the side range to 2 - 3 times the water depth and I always got good results with this setting. I.e. your water depth is 20 feet --> side range should be between 40 - 60 feet. This is the best compromise between detail vs. area covered. If you set it to full range the structure of the bottom will not have as much detail as in a lower range or smaller things might not be seen easily on your unit's screen.

Play with the colours as well. I prefer the blue for daylight and the brown for night time. I haven't used the new colours yet.

Another thing: Review your day on the water with HumViewer or YellowFin. You wont believe what you see when your looking at the recordings at home in front of your PC screen. Of course you need to do some recordings while on the water to do this later at home.

Martin's HumViewer can be downloaded in the Download Section here in the forum:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=778.0

George wrote an excellent "how to" for the set up of HumViewer here:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=638.0

For your waypoint management I recommend HumminbirdPC which can be downloaded on Humminbird's website after register your unit.

A lot to start with, but you'll love it in the end believe me.

Regards from Germany / Harry
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:36:59 PM by Jolly Roger »
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline smithbl

• Unit(s): 797 C2 SI
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »
Thanks for all of the information. I think that I need to set aside a day just to go and play with it. I have had it for about a year and have never even done anything with it. I wrote down all of your instructions. I will try and get it in the water this week. I would like to be able to actually use it for fishing.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »
Harry gave you a good list and a reference for starting out.  The next step is to not look for anything in particular but to play with settings and get your screens where you want them.  After you become familiar iwth the screens and hide those you dont need then you can start to look for objects or items of interest.  As Harry said record your scans and then look at the recording at home with humview.  You soon will be up and running and finding fish like the pros.   the whole learning curve with your bird is to be familiar with the menu and screens so you can go directly to the area of the unit that you want to change a setting.  Most productive runs are in the 60 foot wide left and right.    Chuck

Offline boulder80504

• Unit(s): 997si 858
  • Software: 4.75
  • Accessories: interlink
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »
  Hello,

A couple of things that I have done to help me with the learning curve.

1.  I have the 898 and 997 so I am not positive if yours has this but there is a simulator mode on my units.  I use this after I read the manual just so I am familar with where everything is...  Once you go through this a few times its pretty easy if you have used a GPS/Sonar combo before.

2.  I have spent some time on waters that I am very familar with which helps me relate things I know to what they look like on the SI. 

3.  I posted a question the other day about something that I was seeing where the shadow was in front of the object not behind it.  It didn't make any sense until one of the mods said it was a hole.  Once he said that then it made a lot sense and I will be forever gratefule my question was answered.  My guess is the mods will be happy to answer your questions if you havea  photo - screen shot.

4.  Like someone said before me...record your day and go back and look at it.  You will be amazed at what is there.  The trick for me will be to get myself comfortable with the units before I start fishing for real.

Boulder

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
2.  I have spent some time on waters that I am very familar with which helps me relate things I know to what they look like on the SI. 
 Boulder

Very good point Boulder!!!
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:24:08 PM »
You should be able to disconnect every thing from your unit except power and then turn it on in demo mode.  that will show you some interesdting screens also.  chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo