Author Topic: Poor customer service experience  (Read 7515 times)

Offline fitz1fitz2

Poor customer service experience
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
I recently posted about a problem with sidescan on my new 789CI HD SI unit and determined that it is defective.  I called Humminbird customer service and told the rep about my problem and that she could see pictures of the transducer mount and sidescan images at this forum.  She denied knowledge of this forum and said even if it exists she can't look at it.  This response was either disingenuous or disappointing.

Anyway, I pushed ahead and told her I wanted to utilize the advanced replacement program in which I would pay for a replacement unit and receive a credit when I returned the defective unit.  She told me that the 798's were out of stock and it would be April 15 until they were again in stock.  I then went to Humminbird's online direct sale page and it indicates the unit is in stock and ready to ship.

I chose Humminbird over Lowrance because of the reported good customer service and was let down in this regard.

Fortunately Cabelas does a much better job.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Poor customer service experience
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
In Humminbirds defense, I don't think their employees are authorized to visit web forums on the job.  They have incredible customer service, but it's not majic.  The person on the other end of the phone needs to understand your problem before they can do anything for you.  Also, if you have an attitude, it's only human nature for them to get an attitude also.

Also,
Their website may not be up to date (to the exact minute).
You made an assumption that the customer service person was wrong because the website shows units in stock.  Don't make any assumptions.
Just work with them and they'll work with you.

This is a very busy time for sales and repairs of the units because the fishing season is heating up, so  I'm sure they're swamped.

I would suggest being patient with the customer support person and asking them what you should do next.  I'm sure they have a whole diagnostic list they go through.  Getting upset with them won't get you squat.  I can guarantee you that. ???

Be nice and friendly and ask them for suggestions.
If you want your sh@t fixed, then be smart.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:45:49 AM by ITGEEK »

Offline bobn

• Unit(s): 997 csi
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
You would be better served to email the pictures to hb rather than send them searching the internet to find your pictures .  I know of three forums covering humminbird units specifically,  each has hundreds of images. 

Offline reddog

• My pictures
  • Unit(s): 2)997 C SI, 788CI, 787C2, 1197 1198
  • Accessories: Ipilot Link
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »
I recently posted about a problem with sidescan on my new 789CI HD SI unit and determined that it is defective.  I called Humminbird customer service and told the rep about my problem and that she could see pictures of the transducer mount and sidescan images at this forum.  She denied knowledge of this forum and said even if it exists she can't look at it.  This response was either disingenuous or disappointing.

Anyway, I pushed ahead and told her I wanted to utilize the advanced replacement program in which I would pay for a replacement unit and receive a credit when I returned the defective unit.  She told me that the 798's were out of stock and it would be April 15 until they were again in stock.  I then went to Humminbird's online direct sale page and it indicates the unit is in stock and ready to ship.

I chose Humminbird over Lowrance because of the reported good customer service and was let down in this regard.

Fortunately Cabelas does a much better job.

I was working with a guy from new York on his 898. and he needed a replacement also, because one of his 4way keys was sticking, and causing the menu to run rampant.  We worked back and forth over the cell phone for two days, trying to eliminate every possible potential problem on his end..  When we finaly got it figured out, Humminbird was also out of stock for his 898, and he went back to the vendor he bought it from, and they shipped him one out same day. 

I suggest you can get the same service from Cabelas if Hbird is out of stock units, assuming you bought it there.
Hate to see her go, but love to watch her leave.

Offline stillbear

• Stillbear
  • Unit(s): 997c SI - 1198 c SI - HDS-10
  • Software: 5.840 5.700- 4.0
  • Accessories: Barometer ,GRHA , 8gb 30 mb/ extreme III
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »
Fritz A bran new unit out of the box not working properly goe's back to the vendor
I would not even consider calling HB support unless you want to send it in. If it was mine
I would have the vendor replace it now. Gary

Offline War Eagle

• Unit(s): 787 and 798
  • Accessories: interlink
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
I am having the same backorder issue with my interlink unit. I was told that the humminbird internet store was a seperate entity and could be shipping from someone other than the humminbird warehouse.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »
War Eagle is correct about the store on the Humminbird web site.  It is Shopatron (or something like that).  When you place an order it goes out to the retailers in your area (I don’t know how they define “area”) if they have the items in stock.  If they choose to accept it they can and if no retailer accepts it than it finally comes to us at Humminbird.  Now we can’t keep a large number of units in inventory for this or for replacements, so you may have to wait for us to build some more which would have to coincide with our build schedule.  We can’t build just one or two units of a certain model as we are set up to build them by the thousands.  We typically request a unit be shipped in to use and fix that unit versus replacing it.  Although we get units in and out of our Service area within three days, there is additional shipping time to and from the factory.  Express or overnight shipping is available and is usually extra (being nice and friendly as ITGEEK stated could help here).  Returning it back to the vendor you bought it from could also be a faster way of handling an out of the box failure, but that would be between you and the vendor as many prefer that you deal through the manufacturer instead.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline fishingho

• fishingho
  • Unit(s): 1197
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
My brand new 1197 was on my boat when it sank on the mississppi  river in 85 ft of water,,,,9  1/2 hours later, we recovered the boat. I sent the 1197 back to humminbird, and,,they covered everything,,,they were VERY professional.
Two years later,,,when the updates came out,,,I locked my1197 up,,,and bought the cables to "boot strap" it,,,it didnt work. I again called Humminbird, and sent the unit to them. Not only did they re boot and fix my 1197, they up graded it,,,all at NO CHARGE.
Humminbird has and always been a very great product,,,with equally great customer service.     
    Thanks humminbird
fishingho

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo