Author Topic: Wiil it damage my 798ci HD SI  (Read 5529 times)

Offline neparon

Wiil it damage my 798ci HD SI
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:43:14 PM »
    Will it damage my 798 if I run it with the transducer disconnected or connected but not in the water? I will not have my boat in the water for a couple of months and I sure would like to play!!!  Thanks in advance for your advice!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Wiil it damage my 798ci HD SI
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
Nope wont hurt it a bit.....unless you have an extension cable on the unit that the transducer hooks to.
In other words you dont want a cable hooked to the unit port and not have a transducer on the end of it.
It is done all the time for the guys who take the unit out of their boat and play with it in the office/garage...

Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »
I don’t know if I would do that for a couple of months at the time… I mean, you will need to stop and eat every now and than plus the neighbors are going to start talking…  :o  ;D

Chuck is right.  It will not harm the unit or transducer at all.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Crappiehound

• Software: 798ci Si HD
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
Technology is a beautiful thing. Greg, let me make sure I completely understand what you guys are saying. I can go out to the garage jump in the boat and fire up the unit just like I was in the water and that won't hurt the unit? Just making sure bc I hv bn playing with mine in simulation mode but was afraid to hurt the transducer. Thanks and good post.

Offline xSilmarilSx

• Unit(s): HB 798ci SI HD - HB 778c Quad Beam
  • Software: 6.250 - 5.320
  • Accessories: TG W, NMEA Cable, Ethernet
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:04 AM »
In simulation mode, the unit won't ping the transducer. So no problem here for you!

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »
neparon

I do not think you will have a problem, I have been turning my unit with the transducers on for 2 years without any problems.  I am usually playing with the menus after viewing videos and tutorials or doing update.  Now I do not do this every day but probably in 2 years have played with the unit in my shop about 30 or more times.

Now as Greg states you may want to be careful about doing it for extended periods, normally I am not playing with the unit for more then an hour or two.  Also, I have an extra transducer and GPS receiver that I use when I bring the unit into the house to play with it.

The more you play with your unit the better you will understand it and it will help you on the lake.  After 2 years of using my unit I still have a lot to learn, this forum as well as others have help me a lot.

George

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »
Zero (0) problems with running your unit in the Simulator or in the normal mode with the transducer connected and out of the water.

Now what you will experience when you jump in your boat and fire up your unit is that it will automatically go into the normal operation mode.  When it does this the unit will slow down as it pings the sonar and attempts to get a bottom reading and while the GPS searches and tries to get a satellite lock.  What I suggest you do instead is power the unit on and while it is still showing the opening title screen (“Humminbird 798ci HD Si”) press the MENU button and select “Simulator”, than press the right arrow button.  This will put the unit into the forced Simulator mode which means it will simulate water depth and GPS data.  The unit will also remember all menu changes and edits to the waypoints just as if you were actually on the water.  A second option would be to unplug the transducer and power the unit on allowing it to go into the point of purchase Simulator mode that is seen on retailer floors.  This mode will not remember any menu settings or changes to waypoint data and will reset all menus about two minutes after the last button press.  In either the forced or POP Simulator mode you will be able to zoom out on the GPS Chart View and move over to your favorite lake and view it and any mapping card data you have installed in the unit itself.  You can even select to have the unit start the simulation on your favorite lake by using the Set Simulation Position menu.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo