Author Topic: Ideas on some screenshots. Some are Striper.  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Rotus623

• Unit(s): 898c hd si, 798 hd si
  • Software: 6.49
Ideas on some screenshots. Some are Striper.
« on: May 23, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »
Here's some background on the water source. Mid May, Lake Anna, early morning through afternoon. Lake is full of Crappie, Bass, Striper, Sunfish, Carp, Catfish, Gizzard Shad, Threadfin Shad and Herring.

This first shot is a feeding school of striper. Just thought I'd share. You can see them on the move in the SI.

This is under a bridge. You can see the pilings. Normally when I throw the net here at this time of day I will catch carp, crappie, and gizzard shad. I am curious what these fish are. They look a little large for crappie, and I am not sure how carp look when they stack up.

These are tons and tons of threadfin shad hanging in the channel after a hard rain. I know because I filled the livewell up here.

These fish look active, but what in the heck are they? You can see on SI that they are moving.

Same thing going on here, what the heck is going on?? Whatever these fish are, they sure are active!!! You can see pods of bait, and on the left is a school of either bass or striper as far as I can tell.

Whatever this is was there each time I passed it. The striper were smashing the top water in this cove. We had an amazing time here. You can def see some elongated stripes here. Maybe it was a rock pile. Either way, there were definitely striper coming off of whatever it is.

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
Re: Ideas on some screenshots. Some are Striper.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 06:49:02 AM »
nice shots, can see some fish also on those rocks.  Maybe those stripe were hit those bait clouds but not seeing a lot of the larger fish near them.
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline Rotus623

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
Thanks slabbacks. This particular day I wasn't really paying much attention to the SI. It was more of a 2d day for me. The bite was heavy and fish were everywhere. Most of the time Id find fish on the 2d and just want to see what it looked like in SI.  What does shot two look like to you? Def not crappie right? The returns look large on 2d and kind of small on the SI. I am wondering what carp look like when they school.

Offline Kappy

• Unit(s): 998hdsi
  • Software: Navionics
  • Accessories: Sonar, gps
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »
I'm a newbie, and I could use advice on settings. Will be striper fishing in a tidal river. Average depth 45-70 feet, with a few 100' holes. Should I be in default settings, or ? I just got a 998c

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »

Rotus i find crappie to school mainly on the horizontal (especially when the thermocline comes into play).  those fish are strung out vertically.  Cant really tell on that one until you put a hook in a few.

If reference to the size of the returns, this has a lot to do with what your settings are at that time.  In deep water this winter I was fishing standing timber and fall downs along a drop in a channel edge.  The crappie were stacked at the tops or tip of the timber and looked to be small dots with some larger ones mixed in.  When I set up over the tips in 2D and was only looking at the depth the fish were holding the returns were way larger.  Only use that as a guide but take in other factors as well.  A hook in the lip being the main one lol

hooked several different size crappie off this structure.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:55:16 PM by slabbacks »

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:03:15 PM »
I'm a newbie, and I could use advice on settings. Will be striper fishing in a tidal river. Average depth 45-70 feet, with a few 100' holes. Should I be in default settings, or ? I just got a 998c

kappy default will work but you will find that you will get better results fine tuning your unit.  Depth, bottom type and how you are fishing are only a few factors that you need to think about when it comes to setting.  I'm sure someone on here hits the water for stripe and will chime in to give some pointers.  good luck

Offline Rotus623

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »

Rotus i find crappie to school mainly on the horizontal (especially when the thermocline comes into play).  those fish are strung out vertically.  Cant really tell on that one until you put a hook in a few.

If reference to the size of the returns, this has a lot to do with what your settings are at that time.  In deep water this winter I was fishing standing timber and fall downs along a drop in a channel edge.  The crappie were stacked at the tops or tip of the timber and looked to be small dots with some larger ones mixed in.  When I set up over the tips in 2D and was only looking at the depth the fish were holding the returns were way larger.  Only use that as a guide but take in other factors as well.  A hook in the lip being the main one lol

I netted crappie and grass carp in the cast net at this spot. Still makes me wonder though. I haven't ever seen carp on my graph and known it was carp, if that makes sense. Carp look similar to catfish on the graph when they stack up. They seem to like fairly similar structure. Shot two also looks somewhat like gizzard shad, but when I mark gizzards they are normally right on the bottom.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo