Author Topic: Helix 10 reading 52 feet in a 12 foot Lake  (Read 6684 times)

Offline D Johnson

• Unit(s): 2 networked Helix 10 Chirp SI GPS G2N
  • Software: 1.610
  • Accessories: B1gF1sh@HB
Helix 10 reading 52 feet in a 12 foot Lake
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:00:18 PM »
Got to figure this one out maybe one of you guys have seen this.
Helix 10 Mega SI G2N mounted on the bow networked to the same unit on the console using a hub.  Separate battery in the console supplying power for hub and sounders. 

The problem is that 2D, SI, and DI show the proper depth as does the depth reading on the display and all is good till all of a sudden the depth reading is showing 52 feet and my ACL track turns dark blue.   No change at all on the 2D display it shows the bottom at 9 feet.  We keep on trolling crappie jigs at 1 mph and I try every setting available from min to max but no joy.  I go back to the console and take that unit out of standby and it is operating perfect.  I completely shut down the console sounder and go back to the bow. Still 50+ feet.  I switch to the stern transducer and still 50+.  Back to the TM transducer and keep on fishing.  Then it starts working right so we troll back over the area that is recorded wrong and clean that up but later it starts showing 50+ again.  I am going to switch the console Helix to the bow next trip to see what that does. I am running the latest and greatest Version on both units and both also have ferric cores on their power cables.  I also shut off the TM to see if that was causing it.  Has to be software problem in the unit.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Don
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:05:29 PM by D Johnson »
Don

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Helix 10 reading 52 feet in a 12 foot Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
There are many reports across the forums dealing with erratic depth readings in the HELIX and SOLIX platforms  ....

The most common denominator seems to be shallow water and/or hard bottoms (where the double echo in 2d Sonar is more a possibility)  ...

While HB has yet to provide input for this - users are suggesting Switchfire Clear, higher Surface Clutter setting, and lower 2d Sensitivity helps some  ...

It is important to report your scenario to HB (either a phone call, Live Chat, or email) to log the issue in HB files  ... Repeatedly reported issues from users is what lends HB to realize there may be a problem needing addressing  ...

Rickie

Offline D Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
Thanks Richie.  I have tried everything but switching my two Helix 10s around and would have to be on the water to test them.  I am not getting a double bottom in 9 foot of water and and even if i was 50+ feet would be the 6th bounce.  The display has a nice red bottom at the correct depth but the digital readout is in the 50 foot range.  The recorded data must use the digital reading as ACL and Auto Chart pro are reporting those 50 foot readings not the proper reading the display shows.  I have been in electronics for over 50 years radio, radar, computer and a lot of other stuff.  I started building Heath Kit flasher depth sounders and doing sounder repair back then, but boy how things have changed.  I used to use my pool as a test tank now it is drained and HB tells me not to run these transducers out of the water and I can't launch my 22 foot bay boat by my self.  BTW I have always run my other brands out of the water with no problems.  Will call HB Monday but can't switch the units around till Wednesday.

Don
Don

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
You may be experiencing Crosstalk interference if both units are transmitting at the same time  ...

Can you test with only 1 unit running  ...??

(Or select the same xducer in both units Ethernet Menu)  ...

Rickie

Offline D Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »
I have run the Console Helix with the transducers turned off. also run it in stand by, and turned completely off.  That didn't correct the problem.

I have switched the Bow Helix to use the stern transducer that didn't change a thing.

I have Matched the setting on both units and that didn't help.

Called Humminbird tech support yesterday and he told me to do everything I have already done except he set to reset to defaults.  I told him that to 2D display was showing a perfect bottom with not second bottom and was right on showing 9 feet of water.  The digital display was showing 52 feet.  He said these units was known to have problems in shallow water, 3 foot or less.  Told him the area I fish is 6' to 12'.   He said maybe I was going to fast and I told him I was trolling at 1 mph while recording and getting this error.  So tomorrow I will be on the water and see if the reset worked if not I will move the console unit to the bow.

Don
Don

Offline jgfishmstr

• Unit(s): helix 12 mega SI
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:06:03 PM »
Not sure if this is helpful but I had similar issues after running at high speed.  The unit would get confused a lot and would read much deeper after coming off plane.   I would be in 60 feet of water and it would say 120 or more.   I changed the Digital Depth Source to the 2D element from Auto.  It seamed to work better.   May help or not....

Offline D Johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »
I swapped units today on a crappie fishing trip.  The water was a little deeper and the bottom softer but the only time the digital readings was off was when it was reading the second echo.  I could see that echo on the 2D display and could have turned sensitivity down but my fishing buddy was complaining he couldn't see fish (small crappies) on the display.  I will look at that setting thanks.

Don
Don

Offline Spoonerific

• Unit(s): Helix 10 MEGA, Helix 5, ICE 55
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
Just had my new Helix 10 out for the first time and had the same problem. Fishing in 12-13 feet and digital read out was all over the board. My auto chart looks like I was fishing the Grand Canyon crosswise.... lol. I will call HB today and report the problem then try all the suggestions I've read on here. Thanks guys for all the info and I'll keep you updated if I stumble across something that works.

Offline D Johnson

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
I am convinced it is software processing of the data.  My 2D chart look perfect a strong first bottom and a second bottom.  I reduce sensitivity till that second bottom goes away and the digital reading of the depth still jumps around.   It does it with both my Helix 10s and it does it when it is the only Helix online and using the aft transducer.  Shutting down everything on the boat and the trolling motor and that doesn't fix it.  HB CS tells me they do this in 3 feet of water or less but I am in 12 feet.   My guess it the raw data it coming back to the unit and being processed and the data going to the digital display is to strong. I suspect when you tweek all the setting in the menu you are only changing the ones going to the chart displays.  I think CS will not have a answer till the software guys figure it out.  For now I am getting a lot of experience with correcting bad data in AutoChart.
Don

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo