Author Topic: Lowrance Structuremap vs Humminbird?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline October1

• Unit(s): Getting ready to buy
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: None
Lowrance Structuremap vs Humminbird?
« on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:47 AM »
I have been looking at buying the HELIX 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2N and when watching some youtube videos while trying to learn all I can on Humminbird technology I came across Lowrance's Structuremap technology. It's not just cool because it makes it easy to visualize the lake bottom but it seems like it would be an awesome tool because you can save the scans to your GPS/lake map so you can easily see structure coming and steer your boat to put your lure right over prime fish holding structure while trolling. To me this seems like a real game changer. At least for the average guy like me.

My question is does Hummingbird have their own version of this? I haven't noticed it if they do, but I can't imagine they wouldn't do this. Especially since not doing so would give their competition a big leg up on them IMHO.

Offline October1

Re: Lowrance Structuremap vs Humminbird?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:53:07 AM »
I'm not going to lie. With all the knowledgeable people on here I'm a little disappointed I couldn't get any help, but for what it's worth I will let you guys know what I have found out.

From searching for hours on google and youtube I came up with pretty much zilch.

From a couple lengthy conversations with Humminbird support I had one guy that said it couldn't be done with Humminbird. Then today I had another conversation with a guy that seemed pretty knowledgeable and he said Humminbird has this feature as part of Autochart. He said if you use the SI enhance command "contour mode" feature then you can overlay your scans onto the chartplotter and save it that way. Then you can be guided across the map/image of the lake bottom you just created with the GPS and boat positioning on the screen just like if you were using a Lakemaster or Autochart Live map.

However, I'm still not 100% convinced he is correct for two reasons.

First is that something didn't quite feel right during our conversation. The whole time I felt like he wasn't quite getting what I was trying to say through to him (plus he wasn't familiar with Lowrance's Structuremap) and I may have got him a little confused. Secondly is there seems to be no shortage of people out there that would love to have Structuremap, but very few are willing to fork over an extra $1,000 to Lowrance to get it. So it seems like this would be a well known feature if it were available by Humminbird yet there seems to be no knowledge of it existing. It's not on Humminbirds youtube channel, or Doug Vahrenberg's channel or anybody else's. There is a "AutoChart Channel" on youtube but it's in french & I can't tell if they are only doing it live or if they can save it to the GPS chart plotter for later use. Plus they don't have a whole lot on it.

So that's about all I know. I wish someone here could have helped me, but as of right now I still don't know much and can't really help anyone myself despite quite a bit of effort.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:07:42 AM by October1 »

Offline mako9man2

• Unit(s): 999ci HD SI
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
I think your problem is two fold.
1.  This is a Humminbird forum and very few of us know much about the Lowrance products other than basic sonar.  I for one am totally ignorant of Lowrance StructureMap and its features.
2.  Humminbird has several mapping programs: Autochart, Autochart Pro and Autochart Live.  I am struggling to understand and use Autochart Pro and Autochart Live right now. 

I do know that with Autochart Pro you can make detailed maps of practically any body of water(there may be some depth limitations).
You can customize/edit the maps and can even overlay SI data on your map giving you not only Contour lines but also structure.

Autochart Live came with my Helix12 si.  Autochart and Autochart Pro are optional programs that you purchase allowing you to edit scans and produce custom maps. 

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
Your question seems to originate in "will the AutoChart product do x ...??"

Of course that is a valid question in a HB forum ...

You may get better response posting your question in the AutoChart subforum here at sideimagingsoft ...

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?board=76.0

There are knowledgeable AutoChart guys there that do not frequent other subforums ...

I see no problem with your question in using Lowrance StructureMap to help explain your query to understand more about what the HB AutoChart products will or will not do = as long as it doesn't lead to "H vs L = which is better" ... (that discussion would not play well in a forum dedicated to sharing knowledge to learn more about HB products) ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:09:05 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »
I don't have much knowledge of Lowrance either, but was recently at a seminar where a Lowrance developer gave a presentation.  My understanding from what I heard from him was that to do custom mapping with Lowrance, it is necessary to send your data to a website to get the map created .... and there was no provision on the Lowrance units for LIVE mapping.  He also stated that they were probably a couple of years away from being able to do that.

With Autochart Live....The units creates the mapping live on the unit while you are scanning or even just turn on the mapping while fishing.  There is also the option to bring that data or just recorded data in Autochart PC software (there is a basic version and a pro version) and use a Zero Lines Card to create your own Lakemaster map with all the features of lakemaster.  The newer version will also show weedline and hard bottom transition areas and allow you to follow those transitions .... or any depth contour line with an I-pilot link trolling motor..

This is a VERY large subject.....A google search of Humminbird Autochart should give you a lot of reading material ..... just be aware that there have been updates to the product and some of the older limitations have been eliminated.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline October1

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:58 AM »
From what I have seen & what Humminbird support has told me this is not the same as Autochart, Autochart Pro and Autochart Live. The way I understand it those programs will not do what I am talking about. From what I have seen from a Doug Vahrenberg video AutoChart doesn't appear to have near this kind of detail. My intent is also not a who is better L or H either. It is however something Lowrance can do live on the water, but it's also something I see no reason why Humminbird can't do and if they don't do it already I would love to see Humminbird add it. Maybe rnvinc was right and I should post about this on the AutoChart sub forum. Also, maybe Doug Vahrenberg simply chose not to show how much detail you can get with the AutoChart Pro side imaging mosaic and there isn't much else on youtube that I could find either. So far I haven't found it in the manual.

Maybe I should have posted some pictures and/or links so people knew what I'm talking about. So here are a couple example video's. An entire lake bottom can be mapped & saved with these images if you want.

Here is a link to a video that shows the boat icon moving across a saved IMAGE map (made from side imaging) following what is said to be a rock edge. I think they could have shown a better example of saved lake bottom scan, but at least it shows that it has been saved to the unit and it can be navigated across in a precise way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRxXGlsObcg#t=79.164264

I received a message from Humminbird support today that Humminbird cannot do this, but here is a video from a french channel called the "AutoChart Channel" that appears to show it can be done. To bad I don't understand French.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN6vIrS0am8

Offline mako9man2

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
As I stated in my previous comments I am just learning to use my AutoChart Live and AutoChart Pro to make maps.  I have made a number of recordings and have been learning how to edit and turn those recordings into useful LakeMaster maps. 

While on the water I can run AutoChart Live along with regular sonar recording(this records Sideimaging, downimaging and 2D sonar readings).  Autochart Live gives me the color coded depth contours using 2D sonar and the sonar recording gives me the side imaging structure detail shown in your video.  All of this data can be combined using the AutoChart Pro computer program.  Colors can be adjusted, transparency levels can be controlled and you get a nice picture of not only the contours but actual structure associated with the contour lines.

In your video the instructor states that you need to run the boat in straight parallel lines with the images just slightly overlapped when capturing structure recordings.  It works exactly the same way with Humminbird side imaging...straight, slightly overlapped parallel recordings. 

Here is a link to a 3rd party site offering AutoChart training videos.  The sample pictures he has posted here may help you understand more about the capabilities of the Humminbird/Autochart combination.
http://www.lakeimagestraining.com/index.php/product/autochart-pro-training/

I am running the Helix12si Gen1.  I do not know if all of this is applicable to the Helix 7Chirp Gen2.

Offline fshndude

• Unit(s): Helix 8 DI+, 9 G2N, Helix 12+ A/C Pro,
  • Accessories: Ulterra i link, ethernet,
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
The Lakeimages training are great. They have help me so much. If you saw this on a French channel the a maybe a pm to some of the folks that are in France. I know we have some here as I have seen there pictures. They might be able to help you with the language. Just a thought.
Dave in Currituck,NC

Offline Bob B

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
Is it contour mapping you are wanting to do or SI mosaic?

Offline October1

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »
Is it contour mapping you are wanting to do or SI mosaic?
I'm not sure if Himminbirds SI mosaic will do it or not. That is where my confusion lies, but I'm not talking about contour/depth mapping. Lots of videos out there on that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:03:48 PM by October1 »

Offline October1

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
As I stated in my previous comments I am just learning to use my AutoChart Live and AutoChart Pro to make maps.  I have made a number of recordings and have been learning how to edit and turn those recordings into useful LakeMaster maps. 

While on the water I can run AutoChart Live along with regular sonar recording(this records Sideimaging, downimaging and 2D sonar readings).  Autochart Live gives me the color coded depth contours using 2D sonar and the sonar recording gives me the side imaging structure detail shown in your video.  All of this data can be combined using the AutoChart Pro computer program.  Colors can be adjusted, transparency levels can be controlled and you get a nice picture of not only the contours but actual structure associated with the contour lines.

In your video the instructor states that you need to run the boat in straight parallel lines with the images just slightly overlapped when capturing structure recordings.  It works exactly the same way with Humminbird side imaging...straight, slightly overlapped parallel recordings. 

Here is a link to a 3rd party site offering AutoChart training videos.  The sample pictures he has posted here may help you understand more about the capabilities of the Humminbird/Autochart combination.
http://www.lakeimagestraining.com/index.php/product/autochart-pro-training/

I am running the Helix12si Gen1.  I do not know if all of this is applicable to the Helix 7Chirp Gen2.

After combining with Autochart Pro can this information be displayed on your Helix so that you can use it to navigate to individual rock piles, stumps, trees, etc?

Offline mako9man2

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
After combining with Autochart Pro can this information be displayed on your Helix so that you can use it to navigate to individual rock piles, stumps, trees, etc?

I can display it on my Helix12 and could probably use it to navigate to specific structure.  What I would be more likely to do is study these images as I make my maps using AutoChart Pro on my computer.  I would then create WayPoints at promising locations(stumps, rock piles etc) and use the Waypoints to navigate to these sites.  Once at the site I'd use my Downimaging to locate the structure. 

Offline Bob B

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 06:46:32 PM »
You can do SI mosaic with Autochart Pro.....I'm not sure if it can be derived from Autochart Live data, but can be done with standard recorded data.

As someone else mentioned, the Lake images training is very good for a very small price ..... If you watch his tutorials you will have a VERY good idea of the capabilities of Autochart.  He is also a board sponsor for this board.

http://www.lakeimagestraining.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo