Author Topic: My 859cihd and 998c si  (Read 3105 times)

Offline spoolnaround

• Unit(s): 859ci HD, 998c
  • Software: unknown
My 859cihd and 998c si
« on: December 28, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »
Ok I have read and haven't found much info on compatibility on units.  I am new to all of this and the boat I recently purchased has these units on them, I am learning.  Can these be linked together so the Lakemaster card I bought will show on both units?  Are there any other benefits?  Which would you mount on the bow and which on the helm and why? 

I am having a bunch of vertical lines on the 998 and the si doesnt seem to work as I see no detail at all.  It doesnt seem like the plugs are the same so I have the 998 is on the bow and 859 is on the helm which seems to have the plugs which work right.

The 859 for some reason after installing the Lakemaster card doesnt want to read the depth following a move unless I reboot it.  This unit worked fine prior to the card, I didnt pull the card and try it again as I didnt think about that until now.

There is a Y link and a GPS puck on the stern but the Y link is cut.  Is the Y link for the GPS or the transducer (it seem everything I have read it is for the transducer)?

Well any help or recommendations would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Online rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: My 859cihd and 998c si
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:17:03 AM »
Ok I have read and haven't found much info on compatibility on units.  I am new to all of this and the boat I recently purchased has these units on them, I am learning.  Can these be linked together so the Lakemaster card I bought will show on both units? 

Mapping cannot be shared by core units (only ONIX can share mapping) ...

Are there any other benefits? 

Ethernet allows sharing waypoints, Accessories, and some Sonar capabilities ...

Which would you mount on the bow and which on the helm and why? 

SI advantage is searching for new structure so the console is where most would use SI ...
2d (or DI) advantage is fishing the new structure that SI found for you...

I am having a bunch of vertical lines on the 998

This is most likely caused by cross-talk interference of 2 units running at the same time ...you will need to shut off the sonar of 1 unit (by pressing the power button to bring up the power Xpress menu and choose "Sonar Off") ...

and the si doesnt seem to work as I see no detail at all. 

This could also be a factor of cross-talk interference ...If you turn off the sonar of 1 unit (as outlined above) and the SI still isn't clear - post back ...

It doesnt seem like the plugs are the same so I have the 998 is on the bow and 859 is on the helm which seems to have the plugs which work right.

The cable collectors are different for the 998 and the 859 because the 859 will accept the Ethernet adapter cable ...whereas the 998 has a round metal screw collar type connection ...

The 859 for some reason after installing the Lakemaster card doesnt want to read the depth following a move unless I reboot it.  This unit worked fine prior to the card, I didnt pull the card and try it again as I didnt think about that until now.

I'm not sure I understand this one ... The LakeMaster card should have nothing to do with the digital depth reading (altho the Spot Soundings on the Chart may not be exactly corresponding to the actual digital depth due to the discrepancy of the depth of the water when LakeMaster actually mapped the lake) ...

There is a Y link and a GPS puck on the stern but the Y link is cut.  Is the Y link for the GPS or the transducer (it seem everything I have read it is for the transducer)

There is a pigtail (about 12" long and usually unused at the connector end) of the external GPS antenna  cable that should have a rubber cap over it to protect the bare wires ... This short wire is for output NMEA data that you will not likely use ... Just make sure the bare wires at the pigtail end do not touch and are protected with the rubber cap or something similar ...

If this pigtail is not the wire that seems cut - post back with more info ...

Well any help or recommendations would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Rickie
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:29:36 AM by rnvinc »

Offline spoolnaround

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the info I will report back with my findings.  Next step is move SI unit to the console.  If the interference is being caused by other unit it should eliminate this as bow unit will only be running when trolling motor is down.

Offline spoolnaround

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »
Well previous owner just had the wrong unit mounted to the counsel mount.  Holy cow what a difference.  The si and di didn't work prior is all I can say.  This is so much better than I am used to, I love the di view.  When I shut off counsel unit all vertical lines disappear.  I was reading the manual and can change settings to limit or eliminate them wi both units running.  I do still get some interference when I hit my trolling motor but I think with adjustments I can probably limit or eliminate that as well. 

Is there any way to change the default clock settings so when I hook the unit back up it stays on Pacific time?  I have to unplug and remove both units every day as my boat lives in the driveway.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »
Everything you want to know about setting time here  http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=5172.0
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo