Author Topic: 899 Transducer upgrade?  (Read 35468 times)

Offline dnelms37656

899 Transducer upgrade?
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
Hello i'm new to the board and i am going to buy a new depth finder for my pontoon soon and am looking strongly at the 899. 

I keep reading about Humminbird let's you trade in the transducer that comes with a new unit for a different one . i am going next Friday to Bass Pro to play with a couple of units to decide what i will buy.   Was does the upgraded transducer get me on the 899 or does it get me anything?   And what does the upgrade cost?

I may get another depth finder for   my trolling motor when money (wife/LOL) allows. But the 899 will mount on the console and transducer mount on my right side log.

I know some of the guys at Bass Pro may not have every answer for the questions I would ask so that is why I come here 1st to ask.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: 899 Transducer upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
The 899ci HD SI Combo comes stock with the XNT 9 SI 180 T...(Compact SI xducer capable of 83kHz/200kHz 2d and 455kHz SI)...

It can be traded (new in the package) for the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T ...(HDSI xducer capable of 83kHz/200kHz 2d and 455kHz/800kHz SI)...

http://www.humminbird.com/Faq.aspx?TaxonomyId=91A1766

I'm not sure about trade in price...(I've heard $50-$70)...

Rickie

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:48:34 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Kokanee

• Unit(s): 598ci HD SI w/HDSI xducer , 561, 400ID
  • Software: 6.460
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:31:40 PM »
I upgraded mine last summer and it was $70 plus shipping. Just call HB customer service and you maybe will get the nice lady who handled it for me. Took about five minutes and she checked the stock, reserved one for shipping, did the credit card thing and sent it out the same day. The new one and my returning one crossed it shipment and arrived in 5 days. Now, that is customer service!

Lou
Oncorhynchus nerka

Offline spyder357

• Unit(s): 597 HD DI, 899ci HD SI
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:32:39 AM »
Is the upgrade worth it?

I ordered one of the 899ci's on Friday and cant cancel the order....kinda not happy it looks like they downgraded the included transducer from what the 898 models had.  ::)

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
Is the upgrade worth it?

I ordered one of the 899ci's on Friday and cant cancel the order....kinda not happy it looks like they downgraded the included transducer from what the 898 models had.  ::)

Depending on your fishing style ...it can be very well worth it..

The additional 800kHz frequency will give sharper detailed images (at the expense of lesser SI Range)...

I use 455kHz to search for new structure because it is brighter out to the edges of the display...

Then I place a waypoint on interesting details on the SI image...and re-position the boat to scan closer to the waypoint...

Below is an example of the differences in the 455kHz and 800kHz frequencies...

The 455kHz is brighter out to the edges...but fuzzier...
The 800kHz is much sharper...but darker out to the edges ...

Rickie

Offline sylvan

• Unit(s): 899 ci hd si
  • Accessories: hd transducer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »
hey there any help much appreciatedz i am running an 899 with the upgraded hd transducer on a pond boat with a trolling motor. i cannot get the 800khz images to show up its foggy even with the factory settings everything is washed out and cant see anything. the 455khz has beautiful imaging. any ideas on what it could be?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »
hey there any help much appreciatedz i am running an 899 with the upgraded hd transducer on a pond boat with a trolling motor. i cannot get the 800khz images to show up its foggy even with the factory settings everything is washed out and cant see anything. the 455khz has beautiful imaging. any ideas on what it could be?

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing...??

Is just the dark water column foggy ... ??

Or is it the entire image on the SI view ... ??

Rickie

Offline sylvan

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »
The whole screen if you have it set on blue as the imaging color the whole screen turns blue. When I turn down the sensativity I can make out the hard bottom returns but doesn't show anything else. But as soon as I switch back from 800 to 455 it reads absolutely perfect. Next time I go out I will have to take a picture . Thanks for the response and the help.
Not sure what it could be. I have it mounted on a trolling motor that powers the boat could be interference.

Offline Rotus623

• Unit(s): 898c hd si, 798 hd si
  • Software: 6.49
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »
Is the upgrade worth it?

899 is going to be a great unit no matter what ducer you use. Def. do not look back on that purchase!

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
The whole screen if you have it set on blue as the imaging color the whole screen turns blue. When I turn down the sensativity I can make out the hard bottom returns but doesn't show anything else. But as soon as I switch back from 800 to 455 it reads absolutely perfect. Next time I go out I will have to take a picture . Thanks for the response and the help.
Not sure what it could be. I have it mounted on a trolling motor that powers the boat could be interference.

Turn off everything else in the boat and just let the boat drift...

If the image stills does this only on the 800kHz..it sounds like something in the unit...

You can test this IF you have access to another SI unit...testing your head unit on their boat or testing their head unit on your xducer will diagnose...

You may need to call HB if you don't have access to another unit for testing...

Rickie

Offline sylvan

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:16 AM »
thanks for the response. i will have to check it out this week once i get back on the lake. I will take a picture of whats going on, then like you stated hb will certainly be contacted, I just purchased the unit and have only used it twice. I got the upgraded hd transducer for the 899. I must say even when i was drifting it was still cloudy  its like turning up the sensitivity way up how it whites out the screen but i had it on sens 1 normal contrast and aka stock settings and the cloudiness was still present. thanks again for the help. will be out maybe tomorrow to check er out again. and will repost

Offline spyder357

• Unit(s): 597 HD DI, 899ci HD SI
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
899 is going to be a great unit no matter what ducer you use. Def. do not look back on that purchase!

I'm all in with it, got the upgraded hdsi transducer and a second one for the port side of the boat plus the SILR Y cable to run both at the same time.
Just waiting for the second ducer to show up so I can finish the install and hopefully some of the ice is melted by then.

Offline sylvan

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
ok guys took out the pond boat today and took some pics regarding the blurry/ fuzzy images using 800khz with the hd ducer upgrade with the 899, side and down imaging affected, as soon as i switch it back to 455khz the picture for the freq is perfect.  here are some pics thanks for the help:) i know the settings look jacked up but thats the only way that the 800khz will read for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:14:55 PM by sylvan »

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 12:16:45 AM »
Sylvan ...do you have access to another SI unit that you can cross test with...?? (Not a 798-it doesn't transmit 800kHz)...

If not...you should call HB 1-800-633-1468..(HB will want to see those pix)...

That fogginess doesn't look like any setting can fix it...(and less likely with it being on the 800kHz only)...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:18:08 AM by rnvinc »

Offline sylvan

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »
Thanks for the response rickie u know you're stuff!! It's unfortunate that I don't have access to another unit or ducer I'm the only one around that I know of that has the new 899 and hd ducer. I will have to call hb:(  that's the weirdest thing though! I did notice on simulator mode that I had to turn all the settings way down due to that fogginess. When you use your 800khz setting you don't have to drop the sens or anything?  Typically what settings do you use with the 800khz? My guess is whatever looks the best lol. Thanks again for the help any other help would be awesome:)

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
sylvan...If that fogginess is in the Simulator...there's something wrong in the unit...

The Simulator is basically a recording hard coded into the unit and it should be clear and show none of this fogginess issue...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:27:20 AM by rnvinc »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 02:11:36 PM »
If it is doing the same thing in the Simulator mode I would try updating the software first before calling Humminbird.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sylvan

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 12:18:15 AM »
i performed the software update as we talked about, haven't had a chance to check it out. this weekend i should have some free time to play around with it. i will take more screen shots then if the problem hasn't gone away its off to hb to fix this issue. unit is a month old and used 3 times 2 times with the new hd ducer. just frustrating.. i know i can use 455 but its the principle of upgrading to the 800khz ducer and not being able to utilize the machine...

Offline slipknot

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »
just ordered a 899 ci over the weekend and I have a couple of questions...

"The additional 800kHz frequency will give sharper detailed images (at the expense of lesser SI Range)..." how much less range? I'm guessing not much but would like to know!
If the 899 is a HD unit how come the HD transducer doesn't come with it already? why is it a upgrade?
Does anybody have any more pics they can share using the 800khz freq.
I'm probably going to upgrade but had to ask!!
thanks,  Bill

Offline rsouza3

• Unit(s): 899ci hd si combo
  • Accessories: XHS 9 HDSI 180 T
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 11:58:51 PM »
I'll be taking my new replacement 899 out on Saturday.  I'll let you know (if it works).  Did you read our other thread about the issues we are having with the 800 khz?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »
slipknot,
The range that any sonar will work to is dependent on the water conditions it is used in.  in pure water you will get the very best range (but there are no rivers and lakes with “pure water” that we fish) and the more ‘stuff’ you add to that water will decrease the range.  This ‘stuff’ could be anything: suspended silt, algae, aerated water, fish, plankton,…

The “HD” in the 899ci HD Si model number is more of a naming convention for the product itself.  The unit is capable of the 800kHz sonar but an optional transducer is needed for that.  It is also capable of using radar and an optional purchase is needed for that as well.

Offline slipknot

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
Is everybody that bought the 899 and upgraded the transducer having a problem or are we just hearing from the ones that are having problems? I will probably still get the upgrade and hope that they will have a software update to solve the problem. I try to think on the positive side and hope they wouldn't sell you a transducer that wouldn't work or have a fix in the works!!

Greg,
Putting aside water clarity and objects in the water when you switch between frequencies the distance out to the side does not change? the way I interpreted a few posts ago was when you switch to 800KHz the distace out to the side decreases. I'm new to DI,SI so be gentle with me!!
  thanks, Bill

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 10:50:05 PM »
Is everybody that bought the 899 and upgraded the transducer having a problem or are we just hearing from the ones that are having problems? I will probably still get the upgrade and hope that they will have a software update to solve the problem. I try to think on the positive side and hope they wouldn't sell you a transducer that wouldn't work or have a fix in the works!!

Greg,
Putting aside water clarity and objects in the water when you switch between frequencies the distance out to the side does not change? the way I interpreted a few posts ago was when you switch to 800KHz the distace out to the side decreases. I'm new to DI,SI so be gentle with me!!
  thanks, Bill

The SI Range "setting" does not change switching from 455kHz to 800kHz...

What you probably read is that the discernible distance in the image decreases because the 800kHz frequency increases clarity of the image closer to the boat ...while being darker at the outer edges of the screen...

This depiction shows how the 800kHz is much crisper closer to the boat ...but darker out to the edges of the display - losing some discernible SI range in darkness at the edges of the screen...

Rickie

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:52:16 PM by rnvinc »

Offline slipknot

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
I should be getting my new transducer next week and want to know if I can use a portable transducer bracket to get it aligned before I use a mounting plate? I'm just trying to avoid any problems I might have before using the mounting plate. Also is the plate thick enough to avoid interference problems with the livewell inlet? I'm putting this on a 1750 fish hawk if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks.... Bill

Offline rsouza3

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:45 PM »
What do you mean by a portable bracket?  I know it will work if you hold it in the water with your hands (I did it to test mine).  I found a great way to set it to your boats natural angle.  bring an angle type level on your boat and set it somewhere stable on your boat.  zero it out or check the angle reading when u are motoring at 5 mph. when you get home, jack up the trailer neck until you have the same reading (in the same spot).  now you just set the transducer to the same angle, that way in is pointing directly down when you are scanning!

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 01:24:38 AM »
I have heard of some temporary mounting the xducer to board and C-clamping the board to the transom for testing purposes....

Just make sure to secure it well...props eat HDSI xducers when they come loose from the transom...

And if the temporary board is the same thickness as the permanent mounting board you will be using...this will tell you if the livewell inlet will be causing problems also...

Rickie
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:27:33 AM by rnvinc »

Offline slipknot

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 01:37:57 AM »
I have one that I use for canada trips but wasn't sure if it would work well for this situation. The transducer on it now is a smaller one.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
I see no reason why it would not work.

Offline rsouza3

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:54 PM »
looks good to me, but I'd be careful going too fast with it mounted on that rig.

Offline rsouza3

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 11:27:53 PM »
I just saw that the new software for our 899 unit is out.  the current version is 7 020.  I just loaded it on my unit.  the previous software version was 6.820.  Good luck!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo