Author Topic: Setup unit and HB PC for lake-specific .gpx files  (Read 7571 times)

Offline Kokanee

• Unit(s): 598ci HD SI w/HDSI xducer , 561, 400ID
  • Software: 6.460
Setup unit and HB PC for lake-specific .gpx files
« on: April 14, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »
After printing the HB PC User's Guide and reading it about 5 times, I think I did this right?

UNIT: created groups named for each of my favorite lakes and made an SD card for each of the "lake"groups on the unit.

HB PC: created a "lake".gpx file to match each unit "lake" groups.

So, when I go to a lake, set the unit "lake" group as "default", have the matching SD card in, the unit will auto-save any Snapshots and/or Recordings straight to the SD card. At the end of the day export the unit "lake" group file to the SD card.

Now, when I get to my laptop, open HB PC, insert SD and upload. Move Snaps and Recordings to my HB file on the hard drive. Move WP, RT and TR files to their respective "lake".gpx file. As I understand this, there should still be a complete lakegroup still in the unit, one saved to My_HumminbirdPC on my computer, and one on the SD card? The next time I go to the same lake, should I have deleted the SD card files so all the previous data in the unit is not exported and uploaded to HB PC, again?

Hope this didn't confuse anyone - sometimes I confuse myself.

Thanks for seeing if this system works or tell me if there is a better way.

Lou

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:44:32 PM by Kokanee »
Oncorhynchus nerka

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
Re: Setup unit and HB PC for lake-specific .gpx files
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »
This is the organization I follow.  Each "lake" is organized in its individual GPX file in HBPC.
For Lake Fork, I have a HBPC file FORK_Console_YYYYMMDDa.gpx and in it I have a group FORK under the HOME group.
All my waypoints and tracks go under the group FORK.  The HOME group contains no waypoints or tracks.

I will export all my navigation data from my unit onto my SD/MMC card, then download it into HBPC which creates a new file called SD_YYYYMMDDa.gpx.  I will right-click, select EDIT and change name to FORK_Console_YYYYMMDDa.gpx for my new HBPC GPX file for Lake Fork.  The previous is now a backup-file and I will leave it in the HBPC listing or Close it in HBPC(it is not deleted and you can re-open it again with HBPC).  Also at anytime, if you are going to do a lot of work in HBPC, you can do a Save As on a GPX file prior to any heavy editing.

You can copy&paste or cut&paste in HBPC from one group to another group in the same GPX or different GPX file.
Copy&paste in HBPC is similar to the unit's COPY function.
Cut&paste in HBPC is similar to the unit's MOVE function.

The Navigation Data remains in the unit until you delete it or format nav directory.
You can have multiple GPX files for one lake in HBPC in individual .GPX files, current and backups.  That is why I use YYYYMMDDa in GPX file naming convention.  Note: you can have YYYYMMDDa, YYYYMMDDb, etc also.

The SD card holds all navigation data in the MATRIX folder. When you export data from your unit it is overwritten.
When you select a GPX file in HBPC, then upload that file to the SD card, HBPC writes to the MATRIX folder creating or overwriting the .HT and .HWR files in the MATRIX folder.  I always REPLACE function when uploading to my SD from HBPC.  The ADD function can create some tricky scenarios.  The .HT file(s) contain HB Track(s).  The DATA.HWR file contains HB waypoints and routes.  NOTE: The SD card can only contain one set of NAVDATA.

When I'm on-the-water, my units only have the NAVDATA for that "lake".  If tomorrow, I am going to another lake, then I delete all NAVDATA from my units, then load from SD card for "anotherlake".

I always have my Navionics or LakeMaster SD card WRITE-PROTECTED in my units.  I always have a SD card in my unit which contains the "lake" MATRIX folder and I will use that SD for Recording and Snapshots.  You will only be prompted to Load Navigation Data if you insert a SD card with a valid MATRIX folder when your unit is running.  No prompt during boot with SD inserted.

Hope this all helped.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:22:12 PM by LittleGazoo »

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »
I organize my lake and unit because I have Console and Bow units.  And I also have Lance Vick's Boatlanes and Tommy Martin's GpsLakeMaps products on my units and in HBPC.  Both contains waypoints and tracks for "lakes".

My Console-Unit contains all my waypoints and tracks.  And since the units are Ethernet-connected the console waypoints are shared to my bow unit.  Note: HB tracks are not shareable.

My Bow-Unit contains all my tracks(since not shared from Console).  Also my Bow-Unit does not have the Console's running tracks needed at console when on-plane at speed.  If I save a Bow waypoint it will be shared to the Console, but at home I will move it to the HBPC lake_console_YYYYMMDDa.gpx file.

You can create HB Groups for many organizations, lake, type-of-fish, season, product, etc.

Be careful HB Waypoint Management System does have some "gotchas".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:38:36 PM by LittleGazoo »

Offline Kokanee

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
LittleGazoo;

Thank you, thank you. You have cleared up all the questions I had and then some! Your system is exactly what I wanted. Your two responses should be added as an Appendix or How-To Example to HB PC!

HB PC left me with some gray-areas about how files were handled, but you have cleared this all up. I am a newbie as far as GPS goes, but a 30 year Humminbird user. My new 598 SI has been like moving from a '76 Honda Civic to a Cadillac and you just made it easier.

Thanks, again.    Lou
Oncorhynchus nerka

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
And more:

Some of my "lake" GPX data contains 400+ waypoints and 40+ tracks.

If I am updating a "lake" NAVDATA on my unit after adding a new waypoints or new tracks in HBPC, then I will create the SD card from HBPC for the unit.  Then I will insert that SD card into the running unit and then only the new WPs and Tracks are added. 
Note: You can not change a unit's WP or Track from SD card without deleting it from the unit first.

And HB TRACKs are a different animal. 

The HB default characteristics for tracks is the thin, light-color and impossible to read on-the-water settings.  But you can Edit the tracks, and change the Track Characteristics for displaying.  I use BOLD and a color(blue for river, black for roadbed, red for boatlane, etc).

But worst, if you Restore Defaults then all the Track Characteristics are restored to the defaults.  So if you do a software update, if you have unit issues and restore defaults, then POW go straight to Pain-in-the A$$, you have to REDO all Track edits.

I'm in process of attempting to join some of my tracks together and reduce the number(HB allows max of 50 tracks), but that is a PIA and also difficult).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:01:10 PM by LittleGazoo »

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 12:23:17 AM »
And more:

If you create waypoints in GoogleEarth, save the Place as a KML file.  Then use GpsBabel to convert the KML to GPX.
Then open the GPX in HBPC, then the waypoints DATE field might be blank.

WARNING:  If the GPX waypoint DATE field is blank, then you will soon have a CORRUPTED file.  And if you copy&paste those waypoints to another HBPC GPX file, then you will soon have another CORRPUTED file.

Best Workaround:  From HBPC upload the GPX file to your SD/MMC card, then turnaround and download from the SD/MMC back into HBPC creating a new corrected GPX file as the DATE fields will be corrected.  PIA, but it is what it is.

There is another workaround involving Lowrance USR file, but . . . not quite as good.

Offline Kokanee

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:33:27 AM »
LG;

Now that I have a fair grasp of HB PC, I need to study GE.  I am waiting to buy Dr Depth as soon as it comes back on the market.  In the meantime, I am amassing track data while fishing my favorite lakes.

A friend just pulled a 19" kokanee (landlocked Sockeye salmon) from my best fishing hole. He beat my best by an inch. When I am done, I will have an exclusive contour map of the lake. Maybe I will release it to our local fishing forum - next year. No, I don't play that game. Will post it as soon as it is done so everyone can benefit.

Thanks, again for all the info. Have already had the opportunity to pass on some of what you gave me. Once you understand how HB PC works, it really is rather simple; a lot like Windows Explorer, a file manipulator.

Lou
Oncorhynchus nerka

Offline matt@reefmaster

• Unit(s): 997
  • Software: 4.75
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:30 AM »
Lou,
I hesitate to suggest it, since I don't want to appear like a walking advertorial on this forum, but you could always try ReefMaster in the meantime for your mapping needs. It also makes separating your waypoints into separate groups, like you describe above, incredibly easy; just draw a box around the waypoints you need (over a background map) and assign them to a group, and keep as many separate groups as you like. Export one or many waypoint groups to your HB unit with a single click - and also do the same with tracks.
Matt
ReefMaster - Waypoint Management and Underwater Mapping Software for Fishermen

Offline Kokanee

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
Matt;

I have probably read every post from the past year in an effort to "catch up" with the advances in fishfinder technology: DI, SI and GPS. What I sense from all your posts is that you are a person that genuinely wants to help others to learn and improve their experience on the water with a program that you believe in. Nothing wrong with that. Also, you are quick to respond to program requests.

A friend has reviewed a number of mapping programs and decided on Dr D. I trust his opinion and is the only reason I lean toward Dr D. But, I will look at Reefmaster before deciding. Newcomers have so much to learn about equipment technology/programs that without this Forum, we would be limited to owner's manuals and word-of-mouth. It appears that not many actually sit down and read their owner/operator manuals.

With the help from the many knowledgeable moderators and members, you have created a true "learning center".

Sincerely,
Lou

Oncorhynchus nerka

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo