Author Topic: Matching snapshots to renamed waypoints.  (Read 5946 times)

Offline nicko_cairns

• Unit(s): 798 ci si
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: Nope
Matching snapshots to renamed waypoints.
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:56:56 AM »
Hi,

So when I'm in HumminbirdPC and I change a waypoint name, does it automatically associate the image for that waypoint to the new name?

So I have a waypoint that was s00269 and I changed it to Bommie03 (coral bommie number three), when I head back out in the boat and hover over the Bommie03 waypoint will I still see the snapshot that was taken with s00269, or do I have to go into the snapshot folder and change the image name to match the waypoint name?

Thanks.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Matching snapshots to renamed waypoints.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »
No, it will not rename the snapshot.  I have not done this in a while, but worth checking on with the latest version of HB PC. 

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
No you do not have to rename the snapshot and renaming the waypoint will not mess anything up.  I tried it both ways with the current 4.3.8 HumminbirdPC and with the software version 6.600 in a 998c Si unit.

Renaming the screen snapshot file will disassociate that image with the waypoint that was created with it.  The actual thumbnail image you see when you hover the cursor over the waypoint is contained in the associated *.DAT file that also gets created when you make a Screen Snapshot.  So if you rename the screen snapshot image; the thumbnail image will still show correctly when you hover the cursor over the thumbnail but the screen snapshot itself may not display in the Screen Snapshot and Sonar recording View.  That make sense?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline nicko_cairns

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 11:23:55 PM »

Thanks, I don't want to rename the snapshot, just the waypoint. So if I'm looking at my chartplotter and hover the cursor over the newly named waypoint, the snapshot will still come up? If so that's all I want it to do..

I had a few snapshots visible when last out in the boat but an image wouldn't come up as I must have deleted that waypoint possibly? So I need to go into the snapshot folder and delete any images that I don't want?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
Thanks, I don't want to rename the snapshot, just the waypoint. So if I'm looking at my chartplotter and hover the cursor over the newly named waypoint, the snapshot will still come up? If so that's all I want it to do..
Yes, a thumbnail image of the snapshot will come up.

I had a few snapshots visible when last out in the boat but an image wouldn't come up as I must have deleted that waypoint possibly?
That is what it sounds like happened; though you should have still had the full screen snapshot on the SD card in the unit.

So I need to go into the snapshot folder and delete any images that I don't want?
I would.  It cuts down on search time through the images.

Something to think about here: I would make a separate folder on my computer for the screen snapshot and *.DAT files that I want to keep and re-install on an SD card should something go wrong and your SD card loses the images you want to keep.

Offline nicko_cairns

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
Ok that's great thank you Greg.

Offline nicko_cairns

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Yes, a thumbnail image of the snapshot will come up.

I had a few snapshots visible when last out in the boat but an image wouldn't come up as I must have deleted that waypoint possibly?
That is what it sounds like happened; though you should have still had the full screen snapshot on the SD card in the unit.

So I need to go into the snapshot folder and delete any images that I don't want?
I would.  It cuts down on search time through the images.

Something to think about here: I would make a separate folder on my computer for the screen snapshot and *.DAT files that I want to keep and re-install on an SD card should something go wrong and your SD card loses the images you want to keep.

Did exactly that last night Greg, figured that when I cleaned off the card last time and re-installed waypoints I didn't put all of the snapshots back in that I wanted, hence some didn't come up.

Sorry it's you that drew the short straw and has to answer all my questions! If you ever come to North Queensland, dinner and drinks are on me and probably a fish for some nice reef species.

Cheers, look out Coral Trout. :)

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »
nicko_cairns

Everyone on this forum is truly blessed that Greg helps us.
   He has knowledge and access to information that would be difficult for us to get.
   I'm sure that I speak for many on here--

THANK YOU! Greg

Mike

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:32:12 AM »
OK, I did some testing to see how far I could go with this......

If you rename a snapshot's waypoint it DOES NOT rename the snapshot image.  This we know. And the snapshot preview will still come up when you move cursor over the waypoint, even though the waypoint name and snapshot name are not the same.  Hit the info button and View Snapshot and the full size shapshot comes up as well.

So the snapshot is not being reference by name, its being done by the GPS coordinate in the .DAT file of the Snapshot.  I performed a test to confirm this by switching the headers of two .DAT files and they both reversed the snapshots and preview images. Confirmed.

Also, you CAN rename a snapshot and have it display the preview image and snapshot correctly, just as long as you rename both the .PNG and .DAT to the same name.  However, when viewing it on the RECORD/SNAPSHOT screen, the file name would not be correct.  This is because the gps info, date, and displayed file name on that screen is read from inside the .DAT file.  In order to change this, you would need a hex editor program.

I even renamed one shapshots .DAT and .PNG files to Shipwreck123456789 to see if name length mattered and it worked fine when viewed on the unit.  However, the internal name length is limited to 10 Characters.

So, in conclusion.  It is OK to rename a Snapshot Waypoint and not rename the snapshot.  And it is OK to rename a Snapshot, just as long as you rename both the .DAT and .PNG file.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »
Thanks Robert.  I was wondering about all of that but did not have a way of looking at and editing the *.DAT file.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
nicko_cairns

Everyone on this forum is truly blessed that Greg helps us.
   He has knowledge and access to information that would be difficult for us to get.
   I'm sure that I speak for many on here--

THANK YOU! Greg

Mike

Thanks guys but I think that the bigger thanks goes to Robert for putting up this web site and than putting up with us!

Offline nicko_cairns

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
Thanks guys but I think that the bigger thanks goes to Robert for putting up this web site and than putting up with us!

Robert is invited for plentiful beer, food and fishing in NQ too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo