Author Topic: New boat one unit.  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Gregpen

• Unit(s): 798 ci hd si
New boat one unit.
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

I would like to know peoples thoughts on how they would setup a new boat if you only had one 798ci hd si.

Is it worth looking at having a transom and TM transducer and moving the unit from the console to the bow once I locate an area to focus on.

Should I look at using the external GR50 receiver or is the internal good enough.

The budget won't stretch right now for another 798, but would a smaller DI unit such as a 345 be useful in either the console or bow position and would it be a marked improvement over using just one unit.

Are there any tips or tricks to get the most out of using just one unit.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Greg

Offline Gregpen

Re: New boat one unit.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:18:06 AM »
Should this question be in a different forum...

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
Gregpen

First off what kind of boat and what are you fishing for?

Most (I believe) would suggest that you place the unit at the console with a transom mount, this way you could search for structure and fish.

I have a 16ft aluminum boat which I converted to a small bass boat with a console.  I set up my Humminbird on the console with a swinging mount.  Two transducers were installed and hooked up through an HB switch for transducers, one transducer was on the Transom and the other was on the trolling motor.

I now have a 20 ft bass boat and have Units on the console and trolling motor.  If I only had one the console would get it first until I could get the next one.  This will give you time to learn your unit before making the second purchase, do not be in a hurry thee is a lot to learn.

George

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
Depending on what you fish for and how you would use your bow sonar; you could also look at setting up a second station at the bow.  You would need to purchase a second unit mount, power cable and transducer for this but could move the unit with its internal GPS Receiver back and forth as you need it.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Gregpen

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
Gregpen

First off what kind of boat and what are you fishing for?

Most (I believe) would suggest that you place the unit at the console with a transom mount, this way you could search for structure and fish.

I have a 16ft aluminum boat which I converted to a small bass boat with a console.  I set up my Humminbird on the console with a swinging mount.  Two transducers were installed and hooked up through an HB switch for transducers, one transducer was on the Transom and the other was on the trolling motor.

I now have a 20 ft bass boat and have Units on the console and trolling motor.  If I only had one the console would get it first until I could get the next one.  This will give you time to learn your unit before making the second purchase, do not be in a hurry thee is a lot to learn.

George

Thanks George for responding.

I have a Polar Kraft TX 165 and are targeting Aussie Bass, Bream, Flathead etc. Freshwater & Estuary.

With your idea of one unit with two transducers, what would you sya is the best option for the GPS. Do I use the internal (with the unit positioned at the console this would place the GPS reciever between the two tranducers) or install an external GR50 somewhere else on the boat.

Cheers,
Greg

Offline Gregpen

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
Depending on what you fish for and how you would use your bow sonar; you could also look at setting up a second station at the bow.  You would need to purchase a second unit mount, power cable and transducer for this but could move the unit with its internal GPS Receiver back and forth as you need it.

Thanks for the input Greg.

Can you tell me, with the dash mount kit ( I have this ordered) is the unit able to be removed easily from this mount, or am I better to use a different mount at the console to make moving the unit between the console and bow easier.

Cheers,
Greg

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
Gregpen

Does your unit have an internal GPS?  If so, you might want to spend time using it before you decide to go to an external GPS.

When I had my system with two transducers, I mounted the GPS next to the unit which was about halfway between both transducers.  It is really a matter of choice, the closer to the transducer is always preferred but when splitting between both transducers this is not possible.

Then later if you chose to get another unit you can then move the GPS pucks close to the transducer.

Also, you want to look at Doug Vahrenberg's site, there is a lot of information on this site including a 9 part seminar on Side Imaging, even though he is using an 1198 unit, it still relates to all SI units.

One of the biggest issues that some people have is learning how to set up their unit(s), he gives some pretty good information on starting points.  I have reviewed his seminar several times and continue to go back to it for information.

You should also look at Tips 'N Tricks 24 to start setting up your unit.

George

----> http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/Videos.html  <----
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:02:24 AM by George »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the input Greg.

Can you tell me, with the dash mount kit ( I have this ordered) is the unit able to be removed easily from this mount, or am I better to use a different mount at the console to make moving the unit between the console and bow easier.

Cheers,
Greg

No, the indash install kit does not make it easy to remove the unit.  The kit is basically a U-shaped piece of metal that is secured to the back of the unit using a couple of stem bolts and locknuts.  If you are going to move the unit back and forth I would justy use the standard quick release mount.  You may need something like the mount that RAM makes to install it though.  I would look at their web site and what others have done.

As for using the internal GPS versus an external one: I would use the internal one if you are going to be moving the unit around or using two transducers and a switch.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo