Author Topic: REALLY frustrated!  (Read 4871 times)

Offline YankeeDoodler

• Just plain crappie!
  • Unit(s): 798c SI, 798ci SI
  • Software: 5.450
  • Accessories: Interlink
REALLY frustrated!
« on: April 17, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »
Got my new 798c si unit w/ older version than 4.780.  First tried downloading newer version (4.760) of software for my 727.  Download froze up and gave me transfer error.  Tried to back out and redownload, but now I have nothing.  Unit wont even stay powered up to get to PC connect menu.  Pi--ed!

So having real reservations on trying to update the new 798, I went ahead and tried.  It took 4 download attempts before it made it completely through successfully.  I wish I had tried exiting multiple times from the screen on the sonar when I was stuck downloading the 727. 

When it froze up, the message on the sonar screen was "transfer failure- press exit".  If I had done that multiple times and checked the PC software like I did with the 798, I would have seen that it could see an "unknown" deivce on Com 1.  By continuing to attempt downloads multiple times, I finally got the 798 to complete the download.

So now what?  I guess I have to ship the 727 to HB to get reloaded?  Anyone got a suggestion?

Pissed in Holland

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: REALLY frustrated!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:41:09 PM »
I would be using the SD card to update the 798 vs the PC connect.

The 727 does not have an SD card slot so no choice there.  How are you powering the unit? Do you have sufficient power going to it?  I would not use the battery powered cable!  Preferably a plug in power source or larger battery with enough volt/amps.

I would see if you can get it in to bootstrap mode and follow the directions here:  http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=661

Let us know if this helps.

Robert

Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline keizerh

• Unit(s): none
  • Accessories: ASHH and VC cable
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:28:10 PM »
Got my new 798c si unit w/ older version than 4.780.  First tried downloading newer version (4.760) of software for my 727.  Download froze up and gave me transfer error.  Tried to back out and redownload, but now I have nothing.  Unit wont even stay powered up to get to PC connect menu.  Pi--ed!

So having real reservations on trying to update the new 798, I went ahead and tried.  It took 4 download attempts before it made it completely through successfully.  I wish I had tried exiting multiple times from the screen on the sonar when I was stuck downloading the 727. 

When it froze up, the message on the sonar screen was "transfer failure- press exit".  If I had done that multiple times and checked the PC software like I did with the 798, I would have seen that it could see an "unknown" deivce on Com 1.  By continuing to attempt downloads multiple times, I finally got the 798 to complete the download.

So now what?  I guess I have to ship the 727 to HB to get reloaded?  Anyone got a suggestion?

Pissed in Holland

don't blame our country and provinces!!!! And don't wild piss there!

hendrik

Offline YankeeDoodler

• Just plain crappie!
  • Unit(s): 798c SI, 798ci SI
  • Software: 5.450
  • Accessories: Interlink
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
Thanks Robert!  And thanks to George for the post on "bootstrap".  I am a maint. tech and there is always a way to "get in through the back door" on processors.  All is good with the 727 now.

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
Glad to hear it!

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 03:35:08 AM »
George????

The name's Harry  ;D

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo