Other Humminbird Products > GPS Chartplotters and Non-SI Humminbird Units

987c antenna replacement

(1/2) > >>

tstorm87:
Hello everybody,

I bought a Stratos bass boat 2 years ago and it came with an older Humminbird unit - the 987c SI/GPS/Sonar combo. Recently, the GPS function has suddenly stopped working. The status says "UNCONNECTED" but I've unplugged everything, looked at the pins, checked for corrosion, etc., but everything looks clean and solid but still no functioning GPS. I am hesitant to buy a new antenna (usually retails around 150 bucks) for a unit that is so old that Humminbird no longer services it. I was wondering if anyone else had any other alternative solutions, suggestions, or tips that may get the GPS back up and running on that unit.

Thanks in advance,

Tstorm87

ITGEEK:
If the connections look good, as a last ditch effort, I'd try and
install the latest software, if there is a newer version available than what
you're running.

tstorm87:
Ok great suggestion. I'll do that tonight and I also read somewhere that the battery could be an issue too. Not enough voltage could possibly turn the unit on but not have enough power to turn the GPS on. I'm gonna charge the battery tonight as well to see if that fixes the issue. Since that unit is hooked up to the cranking battery I figured that if the battery can start the motor it should be good enough to run the unit, but we'll see.

tstorm87:
ITGEEK, looks like I've got the latest software update on there. Battery is completely charged. Unfortunately, still no GPS signal.

ITGEEK:
Maybe call Humminbird customer service, and ask if they could send you a GPS receiver to test.  If it works, then you can buy it, if not, maybe you can send it back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version