Author Topic: Helix 9 DI Interference  (Read 3427 times)

Offline jamrdavi

• Unit(s): Helix 10 si gps kvd, helix 9 di gps
  • Software: V1.900
  • Accessories: None
Helix 9 DI Interference
« on: May 10, 2019, 06:41:19 AM »
Hello fellow Humminbird members. I have a a Helix 9 DI on my bow, with the transducer mounted on a Minn Kota Fortrex 101. I have had Interference from the trolling motor on my somar and DI. I ent through the forum and other sites, and determined I needed to ground the trolling motor. Did that, and relieved the interference on the sonar. But the DI is y’all affected. I have done a common ground between trolling and cranking battery, cranking battery to boat, trolling battery to boat. The only thing I haven’t grounded yet is the bus station at the helm where the trolling motors wire to. Unit already has the ferrite choke, and motor does not have a fuse in the head. Added a 1” thick piece of solid plastic between the unit and the motor, and it helped a bit. Anyone have any suggestions? Next thing I’m gonna probably try is the transducer intended for the trolling motor.

Offline FishinLite

• Unit(s): 9 SI, 9 DI, AS ETH5PXG, I-Link, 360
  • Software: 7.765
  • Accessories: HD Side Imaging Transducer
Re: Helix 9 DI Interference
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
A question or two first. Is your Humminbird networked to others units? Do you have an on board charger?

Here are some thoughts.
If you have an Ethernet hub I have seen where they ground the Ethernet cable shield directly at the point to which it connects to the hub with a large ring lug under the hub connector. It is tough to describe in words, if that makes sense.

You mentioned that you have connected negative of your trolling motor battery and the negative of your starting (sonor) motor battery. I have read were person has installed a ferric core in that connection which dampens any interference.

The third thing to try is, if you have an on board charger tying the two battery systems together. Try disconnecting it to see if the interference is traveling through the charging system...

Hope these ideas help. I am going to try the core on my system.

Offline jamrdavi

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:31:34 AM »
A question or two first. Is your Humminbird networked to others units? Do you have an on board charger?

Here are some thoughts.
If you have an Ethernet hub I have seen where they ground the Ethernet cable shield directly at the point to which it connects to the hub with a large ring lug under the hub connector. It is tough to describe in words, if that makes sense.

You mentioned that you have connected negative of your trolling motor battery and the negative of your starting (sonor) motor battery. I have read were person has installed a ferric core in that connection which dampens any interference.

The third thing to try is, if you have an on board charger tying the two battery systems together. Try disconnecting it to see if the interference is traveling through the charging system...

Hope these ideas help. I am going to try the core on my system.

I do have them networked, but during the testing they were not connected. I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I wasn’t in the water during testing. The on board charger was connected to only the trolling batteries at the time. Just thought about this, my starter battery is at the very back of the boat. Wires have to go over the trolling batteries. Don’t know if this would affect it.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
Let me add a point to Fishinlite's good info  ...

Interference can encroach into the Sonar system by 2 paths - xducer/xducer cable path or power circuit path  ...

It is sometimes beneficial to determine which of these 2 paths the interference is encroaching into the Sonar system  ...

This is most efficiently done by removing the xducer and it's entire cable from the TM and hang it in the water totally away from the TM / TM power wires  ...

*If the interference goes away - the interference is encroaching thru the xducer/xducer cable  ...
*If the interference is still present - the interference is encroaching into the power circuit  ...

The point of this is that it may unnecessary to apply remedies for interference encroachment into 1 path when the interference is encroaching into the other path  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:12:48 PM by rnvinc »

Offline jamrdavi

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
Let me add a point to Fishinlite's good info  ...

This is most efficiently done by removing the xducer and it's entire cable from the TM and hang it in the water totally away from the TM / TM power wires  ...

*If the interference goes away - the interference is encroaching thru the xducer/xducer cable  ...
*If the interference is still present - the interference is encroaching into the power circuit  ...

Rickie

I did this, and found the interference goes away went it is removed. Which led me to try the grounding. One thing that I found from Humminbird’s website is that the unit sonar cable should not be coiled, nor run down the trolling motor cable jacket. Which I believe mine is doing both. I will try. These and get back.

Offline jamrdavi

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
Alright folks! I tested the setup with the transducer cable NOT running down the cable jacket for the trolling motor. This eliminated the rest of the interference in DI. Hopefully it will stay that way when in the water. I was able to take a few pictures. Can get more if y’all need.

*cant get the pictures to post.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:45:20 PM by jamrdavi »

Offline jamrdavi

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »
Can somebody explain how to attach pics? Keeps saying files are too large.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »
Can somebody explain how to attach pics? Keeps saying files are too large.

I use Google Photos to store my online pix..

Then in Google Photos copy the pic's link and run it thru Google's embed code converter here  ...
https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/?_ga=2.135606897.1316288143.1500032729-611736154.1500032729

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo